Cockpit viewpoint little angle change

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Fly182
Airman

Cockpit viewpoint little angle change

Post by Fly182 »

Hi, I'd like change down for a little angle the viewpoint in the cockpit. I changed the pitch value in "initialPBH" under Camera Definition, in the aircraft.cfg. But it didn't work. Any advice on it? Thanks :D

ciba
Airman Basic

Re: Cockpit viewpoint little angle change

Post by ciba »

Hi,
go to my post on Oct.04 "no sound in cockpit view", my response further down describes what I did to change cockpit views.
Maybe this helps.
Good luck!
Bernd

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

If I'm interpreting your question correctly, it sounds like you feel you're sitting too high in the cockpit. I have the same feeling, as with the standard settings, I can't see enough left or right so I've permanently "lowered" my seat.

If you want to change this, go to the aircraft.CFG file and find the [Views] section. It's the third figure you'll want to change. I usually change this to the value I want without over typing and then hit TAB to push the original figure to the right then comment it out (comment = //) so that the program reads no further on that line than your changed number at which point the program reads no further and goes to the next line. I've also stored an alternate number in that commented out area in case I want to "sit" lower still. My edited section of this file looks like this:

[Views]
eyepoint= -0.35, -0.85, 1.93 //1.98 (alt 1.88) //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

1.98 is the original and now commented out value, and I've changed this to 1.93 which I find works well. I can now look out along the wing and get a better view out to my immediate left or right.

However, if you're new to all of this, I would very strongly suggest that you make a back up of you plane's aircraft.CFG file before you do anything. That way you can easily recover from any problems you might accidentally create.

Hope this helps,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Fly182
Airman

Post by Fly182 »

Hi thank you all for your replies. I would like watch down for a little angle. So not moving the viewpoint along its Z axis, but pitch down a little bit. In [cameradefinition] there is the lane "initialPBH" that controls the angles view (pitch-bank-heading). The problems is that in aircraft.cfg there isn't a cameradefinition entry for pilot's virtual cockpit but only for co-pilot sit. I could change this value in the main camera.cfg file but this will affect all the aircrafts. I tried to insert a new cameradefinition for pilot sit, but it didn't work - or I was not able to do it properly.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If you want to look around you can use the pan commands in sim to move the camera around or hold down space and move the mouse to move the camera around on the spot. You can also using the mouse wheel in this way to zoom in and out.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Fly182
Airman

Post by Fly182 »

Thanks Lewis, I have also the pan button on the T16000 joystick. I normally make one click down on it to watch at the variometer. For this reason I'd like have a -1 or -2 degrees instead of continuously clicking a little bit on the pan button. I hope I'm clear now on my need.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

This thread provided inspiration for me to map eyepoint up, down, forward, and back functions for the middle slew button on my Thrustmaster Throttle. I tried the change from 1.98 to 1.93 in the aircraft.cfg first. This allowed me to see under the wings, but I didn't like the reduction in view over the nose. Might be a hindrance on short field landings. I changed back to 1.98 in the aircraft.cfg.

For some time now I've had the left and right buttons on the top of my Thrustmaster T.16000 joy stick mapped for eyepoint left and eyepoint right, with the center button mapped for return to center. This was done in the P3D options, controls screen. After mapping the buttons, I ran the sliders all the way to the right so that the slew is constant, rather than incremental, requiring multiple clicks. The eyepoint left and right movement allows for peeking out the left or right side of the cockpit when taxiing warbirds.

I did the same thing, only for up, down, forward, and back on the center throttle rocker, again, running the sliders all the way to the right. So now, when flying my 182, I'll be able to slew my eyepoint downward to see better to the left and right before turning, or maybe on downwind or base during an approach. A quick pop on the center button on the top of the joystick will get me right back to looking straight out the windshield at the accustomed height for final approach. Raising eyepoint will be useful for taxiing the T-6, P-40, and P-51, also!

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Fly182,

There are a couple of methods you can use to make a permanent change to the viewing angle in the cockpit in FSX/P3D. For a bit of discussion on this topic please see this thread.

Personally, it's a while since I've used such a method as I tend to rely on products such as EZdok/Chaseplane, but if you have any further questions, will do my best to help.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Fly182
Airman

Post by Fly182 »

Thank you Nick. I tried but with no success! But I've found the way. I modified the camera.cfg initialPBH entry adding -3° and it worked. Ok this impacted all the aircraft I have, but 3° down are almost unnoticeable..
Still I don't know why aircraft.cfg's camera settings don't overlay the general camera settings in camera.cfg

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”