Force feedback yoke (Brunner)

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
jalexb88
Airman Basic

Force feedback yoke (Brunner)

Post by jalexb88 »

Hello,

I use the Brunner CLS-E yoke and rudder pedals with the A2A Cessna 182 and this combination along with VR has been out of this world so far. The only challenge I have with it right now is making the elevator trim properly work between Brunner and A2A. With the CLS-E, the trim can be simulated realistically in the case of fixed horizontal stabilizer with trim tab aircraft, meaning the center point of pressure on the yoke while in flight moves along the pitch axis depending on the trim state. For this to work properly, the trim axis in the sim has to work to send the trim state to the CLS-E software, but has to be modified to not actually trim the aircraft in the sim itslef, but rather just show the trim indicator changes.
The issue is that in normal FSX/P3D aircraft this modification is easily accomplished by setting elevator_trim_effectiveness=0 in the aircraft.cfg, but A2A seems to bypass this completely so even setting this to 0, the FSX/P3D trim still works, and since the Brunner hardware is simulating the physical trim on the yoke, the effects are "doubled" so to speak. My work-around for this is to not set any trim axis in the simulator, and use the Brunner "hardware trim" mode which means my trim wheel only talks directly to the CLS-E yoke and is not configured in P3D, so the P3D trim is always "0". The downside of this is the elevator trim indicator in the cockpit is then not working...I have however found that I can set my trim wheel to use the EGT ref bug as and indicator for my elevator trim position, a bit unrealistic though but it works! :D

Would it be possible to somehow make A2A aircraft more compatible with force-feedback hardware like Brunner? Maybe there could be a "Brunner mode" where the trim indicator can "decouple" from the actual in-sim trim physics and just be used by the trim wheel for showing its position or something like that.

Thanks, Alex

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”