does using tie downs and wheel chocks influence aircraft while sims's shut down?

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

does using tie downs and wheel chocks influence aircraft while sims's shut down?

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if it does anything to the "sim-off-simulation" if I'm using tie downs and/or wheel chocks or not. In RL maybe something could be damaged if one is not using these things while aircraft is parked for long periods.

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: does using tie downs and wheel chocks influence aircraft while sims's shut down?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Zacke,

In real life, securely tying down light aircraft can, of course, help to prevent damage in the event of strong winds or propwash. This isn't simulated though, and the chocks and tie-downs are aliased to the parking brake, so if it's released, they will disappear.

Thanks,
Nick

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Re: does using tie downs and wheel chocks influence aircraft while sims's shut down?

Post by Zacke »

Thx!

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Would be cool if damage occurred due to not installing these. I was one refueling my aircraft when the aircraft behind me started to roll forward and toward the tail ofy my aircraft.

The pilot was speaking with me while I was up on a ladder pouring the fuel in. He suddenly dashed off toward his airplane and caught it with just a couple of feet to spare. He might have needed an engine inspection and I may have needed new tail feathers if the planes had made contact.

So it only takes a few seconds for damages to occur!

The other pilot was relying solely on the parking brake to hold the plane in place. Brakes are no substitute for chocks!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I kind of like the idea of introducing small amounts of randomness into simulation. It would be cool if not using chocks or tiedowns would have a very small but real increase into probability of damage on the airplane over the time it remains parked.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

That is quite a nice idea. I wonder if the guys could figure out a way to make the aircraft initialise upside-down? :mrgreen:

Nick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick - A2A wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 04:40 That is quite a nice idea. I wonder if the guys could figure out a way to make the aircraft initialise upside-down? :mrgreen:
Now that several addon makers are playing with non-flat ground polygons, perhaps the simulation should judge the gradient when the user exits the sim. If the chocks are not in place, a sim shut-down task would calculate where the airplane ends up rolling. It would cause some interesting faces when continuing trips after overnights in some of those mountain airfields. :mrgreen:

-Esa

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Unintended consequences. A long time ago, winds caused a Tri-Pacer to flip over at Paso Robles Airport (KPRB). The airplane was trashed, but the engine was OK, so my buddie's dad bought the wreckage. All we had to do was haul it away. We drove up to Daly City in his dad's '59 El Camino and rented a trailer. The guy asked where we were taking it and we told him we needed to go to Oakland. He almost refused to rent it to us because he thought Oakland was too far away! We drove down to Paso Robles Airport and dismantled the poor Tri-Pacer with the tools we brought in the back of the El Camino. We finally got the fuselage, wings, and all the other bits tied down on the trailer and drove to Half Moon Bay Airport (KHAF) on the Coast Highway. We unloaded the Tri-Pacer and returned the trailer the next morning. My buddie's Cessna 140B went from a 90-hp Continental to a 135-hp Lycoming over the next winter. Man, that thing could go! It sounded great also!

Accusim that! :lol:

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”