Wing icing conditions be for a 182

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
CarbonBasedLifeForm
Airman

Wing icing conditions be for a 182

Post by CarbonBasedLifeForm »

What conditions would ice wings in a 182 and what would you do about it?

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Re: Wing icing conditions be for a 182

Post by Ray Mengel »

If possible, you would need to descend to an altitude where the Outside Air Temp is warmer. That would help to melt any icing condition off the leading edge of wings, tail fin or other parts of the aircraft affected by icing.

Raymie

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Structural icing can occur, in cloud conditions where there is visible moisture and supercooled droplets of water. When those droplets meet any surface of the aircraft, they immediately freeze and ice starts to build up.
I am not sure if icing of wings is simulated in FSX, but pitot tube, carburetor and propeller icing are simulated. I have experienced all three, where only prop icing only in one of the FSX missions. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

CarbonBasedLifeForm
Airman

Post by CarbonBasedLifeForm »

LZ-WIL wrote:Hi,

Structural icing can occur, in cloud conditions where there is visible moisture and supercooled droplets of water. When those droplets meet any surface of the aircraft, they immediately freeze and ice starts to build up.
I am not sure if icing of wings is simulated in FSX, but pitot tube, carburetor and propeller icing are simulated. I have experienced all three, where only prop icing only in one of the FSX missions. :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
So what happened and what did you do?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Immediately turn around and/or descend into conditions where icing is not likely to form. Climbing is not necessarily a good option as there will be insufficient lift/power and stall speeds will be higher.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

There was a discussion in the "flight academy" forum a while ago including a link to an interesting vid. Worth a watch.

It's not just ice on the wings you've got to worry about either; tailplane icing can ruin your day too!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQgYj0y ... _FmPQWvGG1[/youtube]

Cheers,
Nick

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Yes, Oracle427 is right you need to get away immediately from the conditions that are causing the icing.

P.S. Nice video on the matter Nick! :wink:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Pretty nice series of short videos there, need to watch more of them.

In what comes to icing, I'd guess the quirks of it is rather specific to the region of the world where one flies. In general, cold winter days, say -20 °C or below, are rather free of ice in what comes to in-flight icing. This is because air is simply so dry. Carburetor icing is often also almost non-existent phenomenon in that cold. There are exceptions, however. At around here for example, there have been some periods of cold weather early in the winter, after some periods of warm weather. This means that water bodies are not frozen over, even if the air temperature is very low. Coastal areas are steamy damp even if it is violently cold, and everything tends to ice over. What is universal, I believe, is that icing hazard exists everywhere where air is displaced and cooled down in the process. Be that due to convection, or some hills forcing the coastal wind to rise, icing conditions easily develop. Simulator does not do good job in simulating various conditions that cause icing, nor in simulating their effects.

While none of our A2A fleet has any ice capability as of now, small GAs are typically rather childish in their icing protection even if they carry some. In cases, deicing boots on them can actually cause more harm than what they are of any operational benefit. They themselves may collect some water in them or in between them and the surface they are glued on, and when this freezes, it tends to disturb the shape and cause further damage. I'd guess it is better than nothing, though. Props are usually electrically heated, the slip rings are yet another point of wear and in need of regular maintenance.

One of the more clever solutions are the TKS systems, or 'weeping wings' (it is also used on some propellers). This works so that there is a tank of fluid which I guess is glycol-based. This stuff is driven by a pump under the leading edge panels that have hundreds and hundreds tiny holes drilled on them. The fluid is forced through these holes, creating a layer of anti-icing fluid and preventing the ice from accumulating, or in limited effect, breaking free some that has already accumulated. It is a system that is used in several GAs and in some business jets as well (Hawkers come to mind).

Even in ice-protected, certified FIKI airplanes, one of course needs to comprehend the fact that only the most critical surfaces of the airplane are ice-protected. Even in airliners, the tail plane for instance typically is not (I'd figure due to difficulty of routing the bleed air into the movable stabilizer), nor is a big portion of the wing. Any icing accumulation over non-protected areas is accounted for in performance penalties that must be applied. In GAs perhaps the most important, non-protected area is the windscreen. Some do have an electrically heated peek panel mounted, easily visible on the left-side windscreen.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”