Parameter values

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
vangyver
Senior Airman

Parameter values

Post by vangyver »

I am trying to understand parameter values for rotary encoders. I know values of 0 or 1 for off-on switches and multiposition switches with values of 0 to 4 as in the ignition switch. When it comes to rotary encoders I had trouble with the ADF Freq. Through this forum it was suggested to try a value of 500 and it work great. (Using BU0836X, FSUIPC & Propwash rotary encoders)
L:ADFFreqOuterKnob=INC Parameter 500 and L:AdFFreqInnerKnob=Dec Parameter -500
So, my question is exactly what are the parameter values actually doing with rotary encoders?
Vangyver

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Parameter values

Post by some1 - A2A »

Hi,

I'm not familiar with programming encoders with BU0836X and FSUIPC, but the L:ADFFreqOuterKnob is a simple variable. It should be incremented for clockwise rotation and decremented for counterclockwise knob rotation. Each change of the variable is treated as a single click, it shouldn't matter if it changes by 1 or by 500.
Michael Krawczyk

vangyver
Senior Airman

Re: Parameter values

Post by vangyver »

Some1,
Thanks for the comment. I found the encoder skip so much it was unusable with a value of 1 for the ADF. It was not until Nick suggested a value of 500 that I tried and it worked and was useable. Therfore parameter values have an effect with rotary encoders. Just trying to understand why a value of 500 works so much better than a value of 1.
Again thanks for the reply some1,
Vangyver

Sounds like you may not have entered the "parameter" value to tell FSUIPC what values the "INC" and "DEC" commands should run to. For using a rotary encoder (i.e. so you can rotate it through more than 100 'clicks' without the knob in the VC stopping) I guess you could try a parameter of 500 for "INC" and -500 for "DEC".

The parameter of 500 for "INC" WORKS and also parameter of -500 DEC works.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”