Cockpit Builder Fuel Primer

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
vangyver
Senior Airman

Cockpit Builder Fuel Primer

Post by vangyver »

I have a real fuel primer that I want to hook up to the simulator. Hoping I can modify the primer with a switch. I know I have successfully used the following:
L:PrimerScrew=SET
L:PrimerScrew=1 UNLOCKED
L:PrimerScrew=0 LOCKED
L:PrimerPump=SET
L:PrimerPump=0 All In
L:PrimerPump=100 All Out

I can use the above with two switches and it does show the animation of the primer knob, but having a real cockpit I do not need the animation. Just need to know how the Cherokee knows the engine was primed and or how many times the primer has been pumped. The simulation must store a value somewhere.
Van

vangyver
Senior Airman

Re: Cockpit Builder Fuel Primer

Post by vangyver »

Doing a little testing. I over primed the engine on purpose by priming with 20 strokes of the primer knob. As I expected the engine would not start and the Maintenace indicated the plugs were fouled. Therefore, the simulation must be saving a value somewhere.
Van

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

You can use with fsuipc the control 66238 ENGINE_PRIMER
It works too.

Arturo.

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Thank you Alioth
Engine Primer (FSUIPC)
Engine Primer: control sent when button pressed parameter "1" first click unlocks / 2nd click pumps in & out but does not relock primer knob. Parameter setting has no different effect.
Adding:
Engine Primer: control sent when button released parameter "1" Now primer unlocks and pumps but does not lock knob.
Would need a second switch for:
L:PrimerState=SET" control sent when button pressed parameter "0" Primer locks.
I am trying to do this with one switch but may not be possible?
Van

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

hi!
In fsuipc, with a lua script, or macro, you should be able to make everything work with just one switch.
you can run a script/macro when your Primer is pushed.

If your hardware primer is pushed then the macro/script will:
-unlock
-pull
-push
-lock

In my piper comanche cockpit, the software primer is always unlocked. And I use the 66238 ENGINE_PRIMER command to primer when my hardware primer is pushed.
It does not matter the primer not being locked in the software I think. There is no problem simulated for primer not being locked in software.

If you want to simulate the unlock and lock, and push/pull with your hardware, you will need two sensors: Switches, pots, reeds etc..

Arturo.

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Arturo,
Currently using the following:
Engine Primer (FSUIPC)
*Engine Primer: control sent when button pressed parameter "1"
*Engine Primer: control sent when button released parameter "1”
I found using this method will release and pump the primer. It just does not relock the primer. I have read elsewhere in the forum it has no effect on the Cherokee if flying with the primer unlocked. So, I guess I can live with it BUT would like to solve the issue if possible, using one switch.
Yes, if I could run a script/macro:
L:PrimerState= 0 AFTER the Primer is pushed with the above setting * then it would work. There may be a timing issue if the script tries to run quickly? My script writing abilities are very limited.
Vangyver

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

In my Spitfire cockpit I used the one switch to send the unlock and the prime function. I did this by a "break to make" magnetic switch which sent the prime signal while the primer was in travel. The lock function I tied to the throttle so that after the engine starts and you throttle up slightly to warm up or taxi, the lock signal is sent.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Yes, I am doing the same with one magnetic switch.
*Engine Primer: control sent when button pressed parameter "1" (This unlocks primer)
*Engine Primer: control sent when button released parameter "1” (This pumps primer)

Tying the lock function to the throttle (analog). I would have to add a switch.
Vangyver

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I use FSUIPC and in that you can set a position on the throttle analogue travel that triggers a switch. It doesn't require a physical switch ;)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

That is a cool way around the problem.
Vangyver

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Did not have it in my heart to drill or cut a perfectly good working fuel primer. I bought it from Ray for $35 dollars. He said it was a $300 dollar part. It was a very good deal for me. Using a magnetic switch (Reed Switch). First pump unlocks primer and thereafter every pump, pumps the primer. Will fly with the primer in the unlock position for now unless I can figure a way to add a switch to lock it without cutting or drilling the primer. Will work great on my A2A Piper Cherokee fuselage.
Vangyver
Attachments
PRIMER.jpg
PRIMER.jpg (497.13 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

You can do it with a lua script in fsuipc:
-If there is more than 5 seconds without a pump, then auto lock the primer.

I don't like that first pump only unlocks the primer
With a lua script you can code:
-if primer is locked, then the primer unlocks and pumps
-if primer is unlocked, then just pumps
-if more than 5 seconds without pumps, then the primer locks.

Or just... let the primer always unlocked in the software and just use the pumps. You lock an unlock in hardware and thats all.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

vangyver wrote: 11 May 2022, 02:28 Using a magnetic switch (Reed Switch).
Vangyver
Beautiful solution.

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Alioth,
I am not a LUA programmer. I fight my way through some tweaks with Airmanager gauges as I understand some of the coding. Writing a LUA script for the primer functions as you mention is a bit above my current capabilities.
I just leave the primer unlocked so the first pump of the knob does pump. It just does not lock. I would love to try a LUA script but would need someone to write it for me.
Thank you for your comments,
Vangyver.

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Killratio,
Thank you for the nice comment. With using the magnetic sensor (Reed Switch) I have not modified the primer at all. Actually, I could remove it and install it in a real aircraft, and it would work perfectly.
Vangyver

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”