Disappearing buildings with Cherokee

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JonP01
Airman

Disappearing buildings with Cherokee

Post by JonP01 »

Just to flesh out the title given the number of characters allowed. It should really read "I have disappearing stock FSX airfield buildings when using the A2A Cherokee and Constellation....but NOT when using the A2A Texan"!!

OK, now we have that out of the way, this is a really odd problem and I suppose it isn't strictly an A2A issue to boot (I don't think so anyway). But I recently bought the Megascenery Earth V3 series for a handful of US states including WA, GA, SC, FL, AL...plus the eastern half of where I live in Australia.

Because photoscenery has some recommended graphics tweaks compared to the ordinary scenery, when setting up my configuration for the scenery I was exclusively flying the Texan in the US.

Anyway, everything seemed perfect. The scenery was displaying crisply, no blurries, great performance...no complaints about any technical issues except that the scenery slider has to go to dense or higher for the stock buildings to appear. Then I start to fly the Cherokee in the US as well as the Texan...and my problems start.

The problem - the default stock scenery buildings at the stock FSX airports are all disappearing in that they will repeatedly appear and disappear a number of times as I approach the airfield on final and when I am taxiing around it. But this ONLY happens with the Cherokee. I also tried the Connie and the same thing happened, but I am not particularly worried about that since I really only fly the Connie IFR - so in the Connie and I need the approaches to be right - and the photoscenery requires the airfields to be slightly re-located to match the photoscenery which puts things like the ILS out of whack. But I am only mentioning the Connie because it presents the exact same symptoms as the Cherokee whereas the Texan doesn't.

Yet all through this, there is no problem at all when flying the Texan. I have spend a whole evening changing all manner of FSX configurations - going back to stock out of the box, the configuration I use for "ordinary" flying plus a whole lot of tweaks which have achieved nothing. I was beginning to think this might be some sort of memory issue with the graphics since some net research suggested that HIGHMEMFIX thing. But I am using the Steam edition and I don't believe that makes a difference with the Steam edition has those fixes are baked in so to speak.

My next step is to look at my Nividia graphics card settings just in case it really is somehow "maxing out" with the Cherokee and Connie but not the Texan. But since I think that is an incredibly long shot (it is a RTX2070 so should be easily capable), I have not got into that yet.

But would anyone have an idea why this might be happening? What could it be about the Cherokee and Connie that results in this (I am not ascribing blame to these aircraft - it is clearly some odd conflict of sorts) but does not occur with the Texan? Was there something fundamentally different about those two aircraft versus the Texan?

If there is no solution I will just go without the buildings but it really does seem such an odd problem, I would have thought there was an abundantly obvious solution that I am just missing.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Disappearing buildings with Cherokee

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

never ever heard of this or anything even remotely close to this, an aircraft wouldn't affect scenery display. BUT, it could be the performance thing as you note. So worth going down that route, the 2070 doesnt matter as its raw CPU power that's what your looking at with auto-gen. So try dialling things back a bit and see what happens.

Another route to go down is the corrupt sim load. If you are using saved flights or a complex sim aircraft as the default flight you will want to reset it to a default aircraft + start an whole new flight and not used a saved flight.

And lastly, try several default P3D aircraft to see if you can get it happening on other aircraft too as it might help better pin-point where the issue is.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JonP01
Airman

Post by JonP01 »

Thanks for the amazingly fast response Lewis. I think I have wasted your time, since the fact that I have not seen it happen with the Texan is just a mere fluke. I tried it with the default Trike and it happened even with that. I should have tried a stock aircraft before posting, but I have only ever flown A2A aircraft ever since buying my first. I could easily reproduce it as well - with any aircraft including the Texan - by going to the outside spot view and raising my viewpoint a bit above the level "plane" view while looking at the buildings. Sure enough, when I got to a particular height, they disappear. Go even a few feet lower, and they re-appear. It doesn't matter what the sim or graphics settings are - it happens 100% of the time.

So sorry for this - it is clearly a generic issue, though it is very odd that in 6 hours of flying I did not see it happen in the Texan from cockpit view (and obviously only from cockpit view)! I am theorising that somehow the perspective looking out of the Texan cockpit is sufficiently "different" from the other aircraft to stop this strange "elevation disappearance" from happening (either completely or at least not very often). You are right in that it might have something to do with my otherwise old machine, but in these photoscenery areas the frames per second are way more than my monitor is even capable of displaying, so I just cap it with vsync turned on (and cutting the frames down to 20, 30, etc makes zero difference as well).

So not to worry - it is clearly a problem due to the photoscenery and the stock buildings sitting on top of it. It probably does not happen with a third party airport installed. So just one of those things that I likely won't solve. I don't really fly terribly often with photoscenery anyway. I only do it if I am practising pure VFR without instruments. Which is not that often, especially with the new sim on the way. I only bought the scenery because it was inexpensive at the moment!! :)

Again, sorry to waste your time. Very happy for you to delete the thread if you wish.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Aha OK, well I hope you get it squared away OK.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”