Bizarre FSX system hang on take-off

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JonP01
Airman

Bizarre FSX system hang on take-off

Post by JonP01 »

I have a really odd problem with the Cherokee - it has only started yesterday. If I have re-booted the machine, start FSX and then start a flight with the Cherokee, the millisecond the wheels leave the tarmac, FSX freezes and I have to forcibly shut FSX down by terminating the executable. Then if I re-start FSX without re-booting my machine, the same flight works perfectly fine except that when I go to exit FSX, FSX hangs (the main screen disappears but the FSX icon remains active on the task bar). FSX then either falls over or just sits there doing nothing, so again I have to forcibly terminate it.

The only change I have made to my system was to update to the latest Nvidia drivers for my RTX2060 card. And yes, I did this yesterday, so that is obviously something to look at. But I wouldn't have thought just changing the video drivers would cause this especially when all the video settings (inside and outside of FSX are 100% identical).

Any ideas where I might start looking apart from the video drivers as I am completely baffled (yes, I will look at rolling back the drivers as a matter of course)? I can reproduce this problem 100% of the time, so I guess on the bright side, it is not random 8)

The problem does not occur with any of the stock aircraft btw - it is just the A2A Cherokee.

JonP01
Airman

Re: Bizarre FSX system hang on take-off

Post by JonP01 »

OK, solved by deleting the old fsx.cfg and letting it create a new one. For some reason I guess the change to the new Nvidia drivers caused some sort of bizarre conflict with the old fsx.cfg. Afterall, the change of NVidia drivers has been the ONLY change I have made to this machine in 6 months - and it worked flawlessly till the new drivers went in.

Anyway, fixed (and easy to verify because the fsx hang was 100% reproducible). Very strange though.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for updating your post with the fix you found Jon and good to hear you were able to resolve the issue pretty quickly. It's quite an odd one for sure!

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I never change video drivers unless the one I am using is causing a problem. learned that many years ago.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

ACE-9
Airman First Class

Post by ACE-9 »

Hi.

I always delete the shader folder when I update my 2080 drivers, since then I have not suffered any problems when updating the nVidia drivers with FSX-S or P3Dv4.5 - I never use any backups to recreate the shaders (eg REX Enviroforce), rather I let the sim create a new set of shaders on first boot after deletion, then install REX Enviro theme. (Same procedure with PTA but I no longer use that)

Drv:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders
ATB
Roger

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”