GTN750 and HSI

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

GTN750 and HSI

Post by B-17 Flier »

After the new Accu-Sim update I installed last night I'm having some odd behavior from the Cherokee and the GTN750.
It tells me to set heading to 325 and I do but the message does not go away on the 750.
I have tried this with all my other 750 equipped planes and as soon as I dial in the correct heading the message disappears like it's supposed to.

FSX Gold - Win 7 64. Latest Accu-sim update.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: GTN750 and HSI

Post by AKar »

Never thought about it, but have you tried to set the NAV1 course selector? I don't think the heading bug is connected to the GTN at all.

-Esa

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

I can try that but it's not the heading bug the GTN is telling me to change, it's the course indicator. I set it to what it tells me to 325 and then the message is supposed to go away but it stays. It only happens in the Cherokee.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

B-17 Flier wrote:[...] it's not the heading bug the GTN is telling me to change, it's the course indicator.
Hello Paul - I think that was Esa's point. We can see from your screenshots that you've set the heading bug on the directional gyro to 325°, but how about the course deviation indicator (CDI) on the VOR1 gauge which is hidden from view? Your topic is called "GTN750 and HSI" but we need to keep in mind that the Cherokee doesn't have an HSI with a CDI integrated into it like the Comanche and Skylane.

Just checking we're all on the same page, as in your initial post you mention setting the heading. :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yep, as Nick said! :)

The reason why I asked that is precisely what you correctly note: the GTN does not ask for heading bug, but for CDI/HSI course. In Cherokee, you don't have HSI, nor its course selection. From your screens it can't be told whether you've set the NAV 1 course with the indicator's OBS.

I checked the GTN 650/750 interfacing, and there's no way to feed the heading bug information into the GPS, at least unless using serial bus (nor there is much reason to!). The OBS is obviously input into the GTN, as that is necessary for the VLOC function: the GTN X50 has an internal navigation radio capability that must interface with classic steam gauges.

In principle, if the installation is done strictly in accordance with the interfacing data, the NAV1 coupled to the GPS should be the one that gives the OBS to the GTN unit.

-Esa

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Yikes! My bust fellas. Must have been a senior moment. Sorry and thanks.
Been in WAY too many cockpits lately.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No worries! :) The multitude of 3 letter acronyms associated with this stuff doesn't exactly help, especially when they start to chuck around seemingly interchangeable ones like OBI / VOR indicator.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:No worries! :) The multitude of 3 letter acronyms associated with this stuff doesn't exactly help, especially when they start to chuck around seemingly interchangeable ones like OBI / VOR indicator.

Cheers,
Nick
I'm telling ya, you guys here at A2A have the absolute BEST support on the Internet, bar none! No flaming, no angry words, no deleted posts if you even so mush as mis-spell a word. You guys just keep it up and I'll buy ALL your stuff. I don't have all the military planes not because I don't like your stuff but because I just don't like military and tail draggers. I have the Cub and the P-51 but I'm wishing for more civilian planes or even a jet.

Best regards.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well in this case, though I monitored to remove the yellow icon and check its OK, it was solved by just the community!

As always we are very proud of the community that have built up around our support forums and like to always regularly shout out a big thanks, and reward every so often the regulars be it with a cheeky discount code and recently a few have come into a beta group.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Nick M wrote:The multitude of 3 letter acronyms associated with this stuff doesn't exactly help, especially when they start to chuck around seemingly interchangeable ones like OBI / VOR indicator.
Yeah, various acronyms are so beloved by aviation field that there is a tendency to even invent one's own when writing.
Norman R. Augustine wrote:Acronyms and abbreviations should be used to the maximum extent possible to make trivial ideas profound.
-Q.E.D.
:mrgreen:
B-17 Flier wrote:No flaming, no angry words, no deleted posts if you even so mush as mis-spell a word.
This truly is an excellent community. I think it for a big part leads us down to A2A's choice of market. The airplanes we get here are humble in their own way, but simulated to the extent they can be very demanding, and require our attention. Folks drawn here are interested in learning but also willing to share what they've learned so far. And even with these humble airplanes, such as Piper Cherokee half a century old, one sees every day that there are hardly any stupid questions. In the segment of simulated airliners for instance, it is all too easy to throw a cheap shot, "RTFM"....even if it only gives a procedure but no explanation. With these GAs and warbirds, there are no such easy all-the-answers manuals, but one must gain the knowledge 'the hard way', by endless googling, buying books, finding real-life experience, discussing in the forums... Having traveled the path I believe makes us willing to share our lessons, no matter how "trivial" the issue at hand is. True hangar talk in simulation world! :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”