Help intercepting radials with A/P and RXP430W

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Help intercepting radials with A/P and RXP430W

Post by ryanbatc »

I've read the RXP FAQ, I've read the STEC manual

I still seem to be having issues having the A/P intercept radials or courses.

So I've tuned my OBS to center the CDI, and select LO TRK. Nothing really happens... the plane turns every so slightly but never reaches the radial/course.

In this example I'm specifically using the RXP 430W to drive NAV1. The station is valid.

Is there something I'm missing?

edit: looks like it may have something to do with heading.... manual says 10 degrees but im within that.... hmmmm

Bert Pieke
Senior Airman

Re: Help intercepting radials with A/P and RXP430W

Post by Bert Pieke »

Ryan, as best I can tell from this forum, and the real world pilot's guide, this autopilot will not intercept a radial.. but it will follow one, once you are lined up and within a single dot on the VOR/CDI..

Listening to others here, I am now flying the autopilot in HDG mode until I am on the NAV/GPS course and simply want the autopilot to follow this course for some time - which it will do..
Bert

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Yeah thanks Bert that seems to be the case.... I guess I'm used to the autopilot in the real cirrus sometimes we spoiled lol!

Yeah it was your endorsement on Avsim dang it - I told you I'd cave!!

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Ryan, Lo Sens hold is 'low sensitivity', which is more ideal for straight line enroute. 'Hi sens' high sensitivity is better when there is course changes or for terminal areas where the CDI is more sensitive. Otherwise heading hold is fine. I usually just shut off the AP entirely when I reach the IAF and just manually fly the rest of the way. You will find the Cherokee is a very easy hand flyer.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Yeah I read that part... just seems this A/P is a little less powerful than I thought.

You basically turn the plane, level the plane, and trim it out, THEN engage A/P hehe. I'm sure in real life it's super convenient to have one at all!

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

lol yeah it's not a sophisticated AP, a bit of hand flying is required to set it up. I don't even turn it on until I am at my cruise alt. The AP in the Cherokee is really just to give you a break on long x-country trips and maybe some assistance in IMC. Other than that, the Cherokee is purely a hand flown plane. The Cherokee is more stable than the Skyhawk so it is fairly easy.

Both the Cherokee and the Legacy are the easiest hand flying planes I have flown approaches on, the Cherokee even more so with it's lower approach speeds.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I think the thing is how MSFS simmers have been spoilt by rock solid 'on rails' default AP's and variations of. Now they are being hit by the real world stuff and its a bit of a shock to the system. Certainly was for me!!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

Perhaps.... but a lot of A/P I do use are simply more powerful than the STEC30....

But you are correct I'm not used to it!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”