Is the Elevator Trim Realistic

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
iflygary
Airman First Class

Is the Elevator Trim Realistic

Post by iflygary »

Hi guys,
Firstly, excellent job once again with this model by the folks at A2A. Secondly, if you guys feel the need to move this topic to the other trim wheel thread that was started, please feel free to do so. But, I was wondering if it's just my install or does the elevator trim work at all. I know A2A develops their aircraft from the Accusim Core so making adjustments to the aircraft,cfg doesn't always produce results like in other aircraft. I noted that for elevator trim effectiveness the value is set to "0". Is this correct??? Also, I have many hours in a RL Archer( it has electric trim) but still, this plane seems to stay nose high even when you power back and it takes a TREMENDOUS amount of down trim to get the nose down, even with pulling the power back. Just wondering if this is correct. Thanks in advance.

Gary

Bonanzapilot
Airman

Re: Is the Elevator Trim Realistic

Post by Bonanzapilot »

iflygary wrote:Hi guys,
Firstly, excellent job once again with this model by the folks at A2A. Secondly, if you guys feel the need to move this topic to the other trim wheel thread that was started, please feel free to do so. But, I was wondering if it's just my install or does the elevator trim work at all. I know A2A develops their aircraft from the Accusim Core so making adjustments to the aircraft,cfg doesn't always produce results like in other aircraft. I noted that for elevator trim effectiveness the value is set to "0". Is this correct??? Also, I have many hours in a RL Archer( it has electric trim) but still, this plane seems to stay nose high even when you power back and it takes a TREMENDOUS amount of down trim to get the nose down, even with pulling the power back. Just wondering if this is correct. Thanks in advance.

Gary
It works but it's just slow.
Image Image Image Image Image

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Ok Folks,
After obsessing over the issue of the trim wheel for the most part being unresponsive, and test flight after test flight, I seem to have come up with a solution. Let me start out by saying I am not an expert, just a bit OCD when it comes to having things just right in my aircraft. I think I've come up with a solution to the trim wheel issue. I've spent the last hour testing the changes I've made and now the trim wheel seems to be working flawlessly just as it should be in a real aircraft. I am sure I will probably get some criticism from the experts but I am in no way disregarding or trying to disrespect the fine job done on this aircraft by the developers. It's a top notch creation but the trim wheel just didn't seem as realistic as all of the other aspects of the airplane. Firstly, backup your original Aircraft.cfg because you may not like these changes. Next in the [airplane geometry] section of the Aircraft.cg the "elevator_trim_limit value was set to 100 //19.50. I removed the 100 as well as the // which made we wonder if the sim was even recognizing this as a value. It now reads "elevator_trim_limit=19.50". Finally I went to the [Flight tuning] section of the Aircraft.cfg and changed the value of "elevator_trim_effectiveness" from 0 to 1.
Now the trim wheel works with minimal input and is very responsive just as in a real aircraft.

Gary

bliksimpie
Staff Sergeant

Post by bliksimpie »

thanks
Will give it a try as I also experience very slow trim process
Regards
JB

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Gary, the problem is you have made the resolution 5x larger, which means you will have a very hard time trimming for level flight.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Post by smokeyupahead »

I never understood these posts about trim.
If I keep my button pressed the trim will go fast, if I use single presses it will go slow. I use fuispc for button programming.

David
Cheers,
David DD

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

iflygary wrote: Finally I went to the [Flight tuning] section of the Aircraft.cfg and changed the value of "elevator_trim_effectiveness" from 0 to 1.
Now the trim wheel works with minimal input and is very responsive just as in a real aircraft.

Gary
I have too modified it, but from 0 to 0.3 ... it makes it faster but it is not an overkill ...

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Alfredson007 wrote:
iflygary wrote: Finally I went to the [Flight tuning] section of the Aircraft.cfg and changed the value of "elevator_trim_effectiveness" from 0 to 1.

Gary
I have too modified it, but from 0 to 0.3 ... it makes it faster but it is not an overkill ...
Alfredson,
I agree. 0.3 seems to be a very sweet spot! :P

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Scott - A2A wrote:Gary, the problem is you have made the resolution 5x larger, which means you will have a very hard time trimming for level flight.

Scott.
By doing which modification Scott? I backed the elevator trim effectiveness from 1 down to 0.3 based upon another user's findings and that number seems to work really well. When I made changes to this number prior to making the elevator_trim_limit adjustment, nothing seemed to happen. I even put a value as high as 50 yielding no effect until the change was made to the elevator_trim_limit. Thanks in advance.
Gary

Bert Pieke
Senior Airman

Post by Bert Pieke »

This combination works for me also..

Great find!
Bert

hangar
Airman First Class

Post by hangar »

After making this adjustment does the plane still trim precisely for level cruise and speed at altitude, or is it a porpose?

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Such modifications can have various negative effects on aircraft behavior.
Have you tried to adjust trim speed by setting the 'repeat' slider in the FSX controls settings?
Michael Krawczyk

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

hangar wrote:After making this adjustment does the plane still trim precisely for level cruise and speed at altitude, or is it a porpose?
No proposing at all Hangar. I just made a short flight from Chilliwack to Tipella and the trim performed just as it should. The airplane was nice and stable.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

smokeyupahead wrote:I never understood these posts about trim.
If I keep my button pressed the trim will go fast, if I use single presses it will go slow. I use fuispc for button programming.

David

Agree 100% David. I'm using a Saitek X52 Pro and have a top hat assigned to trim. Mine will speed up if held engaged but I can tweak it to where ever I want it. Much better than the C172, in-fact.

Al
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Al FR-153 wrote:
smokeyupahead wrote:I never understood these posts about trim.

David

Agree 100% David. I'm using a Saitek X52 Pro and have a top hat assigned to trim. Mine will speed up if held engaged but I can tweak it to where ever I want it. Much better than the C172, in-fact.

Al
I can't speak for everyone else in regards to their trim experiences, but for me it's the amount of trim pressure and the entire process of trimming the aircraft. I have a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with all of the peripheral panels. I have a button assigned on the yoke for electrical trim purposes. However, since this airplane doesn't have electric trim, I use the trim wheel on my Saitek Pro Flight multi-panel to emulate as closely as possible the actions of the real aircraft. The problem for me is the time it takes to trim the airplane. I try to duplicate my actions of the real airplane to my actions in the airplanes within the sim. In my opinion, A2A's airplanes are by far the best at being practically "spot on" given the limitations of this being an actual simulator. However, the trim wheel process was the only process that seemed to be not as real. I checked all of my settings and all seemed to be fine. When I was getting my PPL, my instructor's pet peeve was trimming the aircraft. On take off you trimmed it for up until you reached your altitude. Once you reached your target altitude, you trimmed it for straight and level. This was done by taking your hand off the yoke and relieving the pressure of the yoke, by trimming up or down, so the airplane would remain in straight and level flight. When it was time to descend, you then trimmed it down to eliminate all of the excessive downward pressure needed to descend.

As I mentioned earlier, A2A's airplanes are the best at mimicking real cockpit experiences, but the trim wheel process just seemed a tad off. I, by no means am claiming to be an expert in any way. This is just my opinion.

Gary

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”