Some minor issues.....

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Some minor issues.....

Post by JCHPA32 »

To begin, this is the best Cherokee simulation ever! You have knocked it out of the park. Almost 400 real hours in Cherokees of all marks, and this sim flies so close to real I haven't been able to quit flying it.

As usual, all new releases have a few quirks. These are not show stoppers, just little things I thought I would mention after many hours of playing with this.

*Bad Mag Checks. No matter how much I lean and keep the idle up in taxi, every mag check is bad. Every time. The engine tries to quit when running on one mag, even if I lean to burn the fouling out, I never get a good mag check. Good that this is sim, or I wouldn't be flying this airplane at all.

*Com1/2 audio selection. I cannot hear com 2 audio, no matter how I configure the switches on the com select panel, unless I select com 2 with the transmit switch, far right. And vice versa. This makes it impossible to listen to ATIS/ASOS whilst monitoring Center/Approach. This works in my other simulations, so I don't think this is a FSX limitation. Can we fix this?

*Throttle and Brakes. It takes quite a bit of throttle to get moving, then she takes off and I have to close the throttle to keep from speeding down the taxiway. And when turning in taxi, it seems to take a lot of power to get around the turn, then she takes off again. The brakes have the same issue, I brake and nothing happens, then I brake some more and they seem to grab on and stop almost immediately.

There. Those are my issues, I looked and didn't see anyone else report these. Again, not big deals, but could be addressed. Thanks again for a truly great simulation!

Chris

lawdawg
Senior Airman

Re: Some minor issues.....

Post by lawdawg »

JCHPA32 wrote:Throttle and Brakes. It takes quite a bit of throttle to get moving, then she takes off and I have to close the throttle to keep from speeding down the taxiway. And when turning in taxi, it seems to take a lot of power to get around the turn, then she takes off again
I have noticed this also.
Chad (PAEN)

WilliamJSS
Senior Airman

Post by WilliamJSS »

I have only noticed, for the life of me, I can't get my NAV audio confirmation that I have a signal. Either NAV1 or NAV2

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I finally got NAV1 morse by pulling out the on/off/volume knob on the NAV set and punching the NAV1 button on the selector panel. I had to do this in a specific order, but since I fiddled with it a couple of times I don't remember the order. But it is kind of a binary thing, on/off/volume first, selector second, or vice versa.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

About the mag checks: you might have noticed the remark about leaning aggressively during ground ops. By doing so you can avoid plug fouling to a great extent. Another well known means is the use of the fine-wire plugs (to be changed in the MH), which are far less prone to fouling ... :)
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I will say so far at idle on ground I am running about 41-45% on the mixture as shown on the tool tips.. haven't had issues with the plug fouling yet. I do have to richen it occasionally on taxi, but so far this has worked me to not foul the plugs. Also mag checks show just around 100RPM drop on run up.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

- Bad Mag Checks
I find that I have to lean really aggressively to avoid fouling. enough to drop the RPM significantly. Adding power will cause roughness and the mix needs to be enriched. I've even had the plugs fouled right after landing at a sea-level airport. RPM was kept in the 1400-1600 zone till over the runway and I attempted to maintain 1000 or more on the landing roll. We're talking really fouled too, I had to lean till the engine nearly quit to clear it.

- Com1/2 audio selection
I have used COM2 to dial into 122.00 for ASNext reports and that works while listing to another station on COM1. So the correct values are being set in the sim. Not tried listening to 2 stations so I can't confirm your issue. I'm using the lower row of buttons.

- Throttle and Brakes
I'm not having difficulty rolling on hard surfaces at 1100 RPM, sometimes the plane will start rolling at 900. Gravel , grass, dirt and sand need around 1500 RPM. Turning needs an extra 100 to 150 RPM to maintain forward momentum. I'm also not having difficulty with the brakes, they're not very meaty but the response matches what I expect from my input. - For reference I have not changed the the toe-brake sliders in the sim, nor do I use FSUIPC.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Bad Mag Checks- I've been leaning at just 30-35% mixture, and am getting bad fouling in the Piper and now the Cessna again with 2.0. Every. Time. Without fail. Maybe it's too lean? Its starting to get annoying, but that's my only real complaint. I've not tried the fine wire plugs yet, but have trouble believing the stock ones are so troublesome.

Braking/Throttle- I have no issue in this area, I can taxi on asphalt easily at under 1000RPMs, and have no problems with the brakes or keeping my speed down. I do like to go into turns with some momentum, as the nose wheel rudder linkage seems to make turning more difficult than in the Cessna.

Joe
Joe

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This is a bit odd because I don't have any issues with the fouling and they aren't any bug reports on it.

One thing to try for those having this issue, try idling closer to 1,000 rpm.

Also, if this is too bothersome, try using the fine wire plugs in the maintenance hangar.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I haven't had any foulded plugs. About half the time I used the regular spark plugs, then switched to fine wire.

I use my leaning procedure, regardless of field elevation. I lean for density altitude. After starting engine, and engine stabilized at 1000RPM, throttle to 1200RPM...lean to peak RPM, throttle back to 1000RPM. Keep idle around 1000RPM whenever possible. Continue pre taxi checks. If below 3000' mixture full rich before takeoff. If above 3000', lean for peak again during runup, then enrich a little bit.

I have never had fouled plugs since doing that procedure with real flying.

I haven't had any taxi issues, with 2 people and some bags, my Cherokee starts rolling around 1100RPM or so.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Interesting replies...some see the things I'm seeing and some aren't.
Bad Mag Checks-I have been keeping the RPM's up on taxi and while holding, as the manual suggests, and leaned quite a bit as well, since I first started flying this. Yet the bad mag checks. I will try the fine wire plugs and see if that makes any difference.
Com Issues-I use the radio select panel just as I do in the real aircraft, and after reading the manual from King linked in the manual and here in the forums, the behavior I'm seeing is incorrect. I should be able to select audio from com 2 with the button, even with com 1 selected on the mic selector switch, but no joy. I don't believe this is a FSX bug such as saved setting from another aircraft/flight, as I always load my flights from the default flight first. I never use a saved flight just to avoid this kind of trouble.
I'll keep playing with this to see if anything changes and report back.
JCH

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Thanks, Scott- It turns out I was idling too low- I took it just above running rough and kept it there- in this build much below 1000RPMS. I can happily report that when keeping RPMS at 1000 in the Cessna and the Piper, while leaning still at 30%, my fouling problems disappeared.

I love how most "bugs" turn out to be pilot error. I'm betting you love that even more. 8)

Joe
Joe

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”