VC shadows?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Dimus
Airman First Class

VC shadows?

Post by Dimus »

First of all, great product, maybe indeed your best so far! The flying feeling is amazing! I have to go fly a real one now as my only RL experience is on Cessnas and Cubs.

One small detail: I see no VC shadows in DX10 and can not enable them with Steve's fixer. The 172 had great shadows by default and so has this one in P3D. Something wrong with that?
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: VC shadows?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Dimus,

these are enabled and working Fine. I tested with Steves dx10 Fixer and it all looked beautiful! 8)

Where you looking in the correct place, they can be harder to see in an all black cockpit

thanks,
LewIs - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dimus
Airman First Class

Post by Dimus »

You're right about the black panel. Actually I flew both the P3D and the FSX versions and was looking at the floor and door sides. In P3D the shadows were very visible and baeutiful:

Unfortunately I did not take pics in FSX.
I'll check again later tonight. Thanks.
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Dimus,

Best way to check it as you are banking in a turn look around the cabin, you should see the shadows move over the cabin behind you.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephan
Airman First Class

Post by Stephan »

Actually, sorry to hijack the post but I was wondering if someone could explain to me how to get the shadows in the VC in FSX. I understand it has to do with DX10 but I'm not sure how to install this. I have a computer that is about 3 years old now. It's a Alienware Aurora. Will DX10 installer tell me if my video card is compatible?
B377 / B-17 / Spitfire / P-51 Civilian / Piper J-3 Cub / C172 / C182 / Cherokee / Comanche / Avro 504k / F4U Corsair / BF109

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Stephan,

for dx10 mode you just set the tick box in FSX display options, it requires a re-start of the sim. It is dx10 preview mode and can be quite broken and cause issues unless you are using some of the freeware fixes or the payware tool called steves dx10 fixer which fixes nearly all of it and makes it a really great way to use FSX.

thanks,
Lewis

Stephan
Airman First Class

Post by Stephan »

Thank you, Lewis. I'm going to give it a shot, using the payware fix most likely. These shadows look gorgeous! Will this affect FPS? And one last question if you don't mind; is it easy to revert back by simply unchecking the DX10 feature in case I run into trouble?
B377 / B-17 / Spitfire / P-51 Civilian / Piper J-3 Cub / C172 / C182 / Cherokee / Comanche / Avro 504k / F4U Corsair / BF109

Dimus
Airman First Class

Post by Dimus »

Lewis, I tried again with no luck. I even reinstalled the plane. Here is how the 172 and the PA28 show at the same location:

I noticed that the shadows start to appear only if I open the door or even the small window on the left. This creates a "gap" that lets the light through, as if the glass is not transparent. I get the general illumination change on the surfaces as the plane rolls around but no shadows. This is really puzzling.

Trying to force the shadows using Steve's toolbox did not work either.
ImageImageImage

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Do you have any non standard options set in the Steve DX10 fixer, like different compatibility settings?

We have found that at various DX10 fixer settings semi transparent materials may cast shadow just like opaque parts of the cockpit.
Michael Krawczyk

Dimus
Airman First Class

Post by Dimus »

Thank you Michael!

It was the "Force VC walls" option that I had ticked that caused this. Deselecting that fixed the shadows. I don't even know why I had that selected but it did not seem to affect the 172.

Anyway, thank you for the stellar support again, even on a subject that was not directly related with your product.
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”