Aerobatics in Cherokee

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Bixby
Airman First Class

Aerobatics in Cherokee

Post by Bixby »

I tend to go abit nuts when flying a2a warbirds. Love doing non approved stuff. So...I loaded up the a2a Cherokee for a bit of fun,

Not sure about RL Cherokees but the A2A Cherokee is fully "aerobatic". It was a blast. Loops ,rolls, cubans etc.

It breaks up a long flight while touring the beautiful British countryside.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Aerobatics in Cherokee

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bixby wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 15:32 I tend to go abit nuts when flying a2a warbirds. Love doing non approved stuff. So...I loaded up the a2a Cherokee for a bit of fun,

Not sure about RL Cherokees but the A2A Cherokee is fully "aerobatic". It was a blast. Loops ,rolls, cubans etc.

It breaks up a long flight while touring the beautiful British countryside.
I think you're safe :-)))))
As I recall we stopped short of programming structural failure into the flight model.
Dudley Henriques

Bixby
Airman First Class

Post by Bixby »

<Salute> Sir! I was able to not overspeed going downhill on the loop. Just wondering if any real pilots ever looped a Cherokee?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Bixby wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 19:52 <Salute> Sir! I was able to not overspeed going downhill on the loop. Just wondering if any real pilots ever looped a Cherokee?
My answer to this question is always the same as it relates to real life.
The answer is that most GA type airplanes can be rolled and looped but not legally if typed in the normal and utility category and certainly not safely if the maneuver goes wrong and the aircraft suffers over g.
There are professional pilots who fly these planes acrobatically in airshows but these pilots are highly trained and keep the maneuvers well within the aircraft's category g limits.
In the sim you can loop the Cherokee with the right g and airspeed but as soon as you do that you become a "gamer" as opposed to a flight simulator enthusiast.
At A2A we simply hope the pilots in our community don't use our airplanes this way but we leave the final decision on doing that up to the individual.
Dudley Henriques

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This is another reason why simulation is so great, because you can do these things you can't do legally in real life. Looping a Cherokee in real life isn't smart, as the limitations you have too work within are so slim. It's so easy, for example, to exceed VNE coming out of a poorly executed loop. Aerobatics are best left to airplanes designed and certified for aerobatics for good reason.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

I would never admit the things I did in daddy's Cessna 210 many years ago.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Based on this video from "retired Red Bull pilot" John Dow, I'd say you can do just about anything in an A2A Cherokee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXB43p5qYw&t=47s!

Seeya
ATB

Profs72
Airman

Post by Profs72 »

I do remember seeing a video of an angry owner, who had rented their Cherokee out, only to find that the renter had been doing aerobatics in it. They had to get the aircraft completely inspected, if I recall correctly, there was luckily not any damage.
Last edited by Profs72 on 28 Sep 2021, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I just want to make a point VERY strongly here.
I'm seeing a couple of posts here that even though not saying it openly, "indicate" that doing aerobatics in a Cherokee IN REAL LIFE might not be "a big deal"
NOTHING could be further from the truth.
As I said, I just want to make this point absolutely clear to anyone who happens on this thread and reads what has been posted here.
Quite simply, IN THE REAL WORLD................if you attempt aerobatics in ANY airplane certified in either the normal or utility category................
YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THAT AIRPLANE...................PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dudley Henriques

Profs72
Airman

Post by Profs72 »

Completely agreed, all I listed was an example of someone doing it, please don’t put yourself or anyone else in danger, this is merely a discussion about A2A’s 180 theoretic aerobatic abilities.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”