Change a dme to a vor in fsx ?

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
FlushDraw
Airman

Change a dme to a vor in fsx ?

Post by FlushDraw »

Hi all, trying to get the dvor instrument to work during the first leg of my most flown plan. It is not working at the moment as fsx sees this as a dme and not a vor. Wondering if there is a way to change this dme to a vor in fsx? (CYZX)

Thanks,
Mike

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Change a dme to a vor in fsx ?

Post by DHenriques_ »

FlushDraw wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 14:01 Hi all, trying to get the dvor instrument to work during the first leg of my most flown plan. It is not working at the moment as fsx sees this as a dme and not a vor. Wondering if there is a way to change this dme to a vor in fsx? (CYZX)

Thanks,
Mike
Not quite sure what is wrong but I can tell you that DME and VOR are two entirely different functions although tied together. I see no way one can be turned into the other.
Best approach to your issue is to keep the issue hot here on the forum and see if it can be solved. I'm sure it can be solved. Most likely an installation or conflict issue as my 180 avionics work like a charm here.
So hang in there and keep the subject hot. I'm the "airplane guy". You need a "computer guy". We have thousands of them on the forums. Someone will be able to help.
Dudley Henriques

FlushDraw
Airman

Post by FlushDraw »

Thanks Dudley, I will keep an eye on this post. Thanks again for the help getting the p-51 off the ground, that Merlin is no joke!! If this can be done, editing files via direct xml or ade will be required (guessing)

Mike

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

FlushDraw wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 17:35 Thanks Dudley, I will keep an eye on this post. Thanks again for the help getting the p-51 off the ground, that Merlin is no joke!! If this can be done, editing files via direct xml or ade will be required (guessing)

Mike
No sweat. I know these little glitches can be a bummer. Don't worry. I think Lewis or Nick can help with this one. Make sure you have the latest updates installed. That's usually the first thing they will check out of the gate.
Good luck. I know it will sort out for you.
DH

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

What's the name and ID of the VOR station in question? Where is it located?

FlushDraw
Airman

Post by FlushDraw »

Hi Flapman. UZX @ CYZX (Greenwood, NS, Canada) Frequency 117.60

Thanks,
Mike

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

FlushDraw wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 19:01 Hi Flapman. UZX @ CYZX (Greenwood, NS, Canada) Frequency 117.60

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

After I made that post, I explored around CYZX to perhaps see what you were looking at. Seems my guess was correct in this case.

UZX is not a VOR. It's a TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation) station. These are similar to VORs, but used by the military. You would need a Tacan receiver in your Cherokee to use it, not a VOR/ILS receiver. Tacan does provide a civilian DME service, and the appropriate "paired" channel is listed as a frequency on charts. That's why you're receiving distance but no course information. The equipment and station are functioning correctly it seems.

My understanding is that in these simulators navigation aids are treated as part of the scenery, so you would need scenery skills and tools to "fix" this if you really wanted.

FlushDraw
Airman

Post by FlushDraw »

Thanks Flapman. "It's a TACAN" helped a lot. I found instructions for converting a TACAN to a VOR, might try them out tomorrow. It involves a recompile, yikes. Thanks again for the help.

Mike

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Why not just adjust the route of flight? Seems easier...

FlushDraw
Airman

Post by FlushDraw »

Agreed. Will probably just leave it as is (no dvor reading on first leg) I've been flying this route for to many years to want to change it up, haha.

Mike

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hey Mike, Airport Design Editor may help if you still want to locate a DVOR nearby the TACAN (or maybe turn the TACAN into a DVOR). I’m still picking up all the pieces from a catastrophic computer failure and I haven’t got as far as re-installing ADE yet. I’m fairly certain you can place a new navaid nearby that would work for your puposes. Not too sure if you can convert the TACAN.

FlushDraw
Airman

Post by FlushDraw »

Thanks Jacques. Will probably try creating a new navaid near by soon. I have ADE installed but it wants the path to the SDK. I have my DVD drive unplugged (was making to much noise) Just need to find the time to plug it back in and grab the SDK off my gold edition disks, haha.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”