Installing Into P3D V5

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
MrBitsy
Airman

Installing Into P3D V5

Post by MrBitsy »

I read a post that says the Cherokee could be installed into V5 by copying over the files from V4. So I just purchased the Cherokee for V5 Professional but it wont install because I don't have V5, so I have nothing to copy!

Can I do anything?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Installing Into P3D V5

Post by Nick - A2A »

MrBitsy wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 12:27 I read a post that says the Cherokee could be installed into V5 by copying over the files from V4. So I just purchased the Cherokee for V5 Professional but it wont install because I don't have V5, so I have nothing to copy!
I'm a bit confused by your post MrBitsy.

It seems you already have the Cherokee for P3Dv4, so you don't need to re-purchase for P3Dv5. When you say "but it wont install because I don't have V5" do you mean it won't install because you don't have v4 installed, having moved to v5?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MrBitsy
Airman

Post by MrBitsy »

Been away from Flightsim for a while but got interested again with the release of P3D V5. V4 not installed on my system, just a fresh V5 install. I purchased for the academic version before but now have P3d Professional so I purchased the professional version of the cherokee.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the clarification. At the time of writing we haven't released a P3Dv5 compatible installer for the Cherokee and the existing installer for P3Dv4 won't detect a P3Dv5 installation.

Other than waiting for the official P3Dv5 version of the Cherokee, there are a couple of options. One is to install a copy of P3Dv4 alongside v5 so that you can install the Cherokee and then manually transfer file across as described here. The other option is to edit your Windows registry so that it includes a copy of the P3Dv4 registry key pointing to your P3Dv5 installation. If you wish to try the latter, please can you let me know the exact file path where you've installed P3D v5. For example, the default path is "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5".

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MrBitsy
Airman

Post by MrBitsy »

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the registry option thanks. I live on a canal narrow boat in the UK and have limited internet - took me 11 hours to download P3d V5!

P3D V5 file path is "D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5"

Spent 10 hours tuning the graphics and getting it smooth, but the default aircraft are rather bland! :mrgreen:

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, in that case you'll need to add a registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4" containing a string with name "SetupPath" and value "D:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5".

You can do this manually using the Windows Registry Editor, or I've made a little registry editor file which you can download from here and run by double-clicking. Once you've done this, you should be able to install the Cherokee using the existing installer. However, don't use the "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder which it'll suggest by default; instead point to "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" or another folder of your choice.

Also, please not the information here. The current version of the WIndshield.dll doesn't work with v5 so must be disabled.

If you'd be kind enough to confirm if this methods works for you, that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MrBitsy
Airman

Post by MrBitsy »

Oh, a problem.

I used your script to install into the registry. When installing the Cherokee I get a window open stating I have three A2A aircraft installed in a V4 folder, so I must install into the V4 folder - I cant change that path. The folder doesn't exist and I have uninstalled the aircraft from Windows settings app.

Maybe there is a registry key still existing for the old aircraft?

MrBitsy
Airman

Post by MrBitsy »

Found an old Prepar3d V4 folder and an A2A folder in AppData. Deleted those and the install is ok.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Maybe there are still some remnants from P3Dv4 left on your system; it tends to leave behind quite a few files on uninstallation. I recommend that you check for and delete the following directories if they're present.

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons
C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

MrBitsy wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 11:25 Found an old Prepar3d V4 folder and an A2A folder in AppData. Deleted those and the install is ok.
Haha - you worked it out while I was laboriously copying and pasting file paths. Good to hear you've installed okay.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MrBitsy
Airman

Post by MrBitsy »

Oops, sorry about that :)

Installed and all running ok - fantastic aircraft! Very impressed with the timely support :o

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

That great news and you're welcome. Keep an eye out for the official P3Dv5 installer for the Cherokee which will include a revised Windshield.dll.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”