Fuel Tank Selector Keyboard Shortucut

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
CoolDanLuke
Airman Basic

Fuel Tank Selector Keyboard Shortucut

Post by CoolDanLuke »

Are there any solutions that dont need to resort to purchasing FSPUIPC for mapping a key for switching the fuel tanks? I really dont want to purchase FSUIPC jsut to get this working. I didnt see it in the input configurator tool.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Fuel Tank Selector Keyboard Shortucut

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'm afraid there aren't any at the moment which I'm aware of. Which host sim are you using though?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

CoolDanLuke
Airman Basic

Post by CoolDanLuke »

So after extensive research and learning the P3D SDK, I started working on a C# program to switch the tanks using SimConnect. I spent quite a considerable amount of time on this and I was successful in making it work. But then I found out that all I really needed to do was to update the Standard.xml file that P3D generates to map the keys to the Fuel tank switch events and voila! Simple and only takes a few seconds.

Yeah, I know that it will get overwritten by P3D at some point, buts that's nothing a simple batch program can solve.

Cheers!

:p3d:

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

FSUIPC is so cheap and does so much. It's a worthwhile purchase. Tank selection works a treat and it won't get overwritten.

A thought: Doesn't the free version do the job?
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Dan M
Airman

Post by Dan M »

Doesn't the free version do the job?
As far as I can tell, the only options in the free version are for logging (keeping track of) sim variables - useful for developers I suppose. For anyone undecided, there's a discussion about the pros and cons of FSUIPC here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5207 ... and-p3dv4/

To his credit, Pete has done a remarkable job keeping it updated in spite of the blizzard of changes in P3D.

Personally I wouldn't opt for the paid version if it was only for tank switching since it's easy enough to have a view in the sim for that. But if you have a lot of things you want to control via HOTAS switches or your joystick/yoke switches I think it's a no-brainer, buy it. The one thing I'd mention is that any time you add complexity to P3D with another piece of software like this, finding the source of problems (if you have them) can get pretty complicated. P3Dv4 onward seems very stable now though, so those kinds of problems should be few and far between.
Dan M

CoolDanLuke
Airman Basic

Post by CoolDanLuke »

Dan M wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:25
Personally I wouldn't opt for the paid version if it was only for tank switching since it's easy enough to have a view in the sim for that.

Hummm... I didn't think of creating a view just for that. I'll give it a try and see how it works, particularly at night where there's hardly any light.

By no means I was intending to bash FSUIPC. I'm sure I'll eventually buy it. Just wanted to see the options available.

Thanks everyone for our inputs.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”