Ignition Switch Variables

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
zaruthoj
Airman

Ignition Switch Variables

Post by zaruthoj »

I'm building my own ignition switch, and I'm struggling with the starter. I can get the starter to engage by sending the MAGNETO1_START event. However, I can not make the starter turn off. I've tried the following variables and events:
  • MAGNETO1_START
  • MAGNETO_SET
  • L:Eng1_StarterSwitch
Does anyone know the right event or variable to turn off the starter?

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Re: Ignition Switch Variables

Post by TBryson2 »

I'm assuming your talking about the starter motor itself, and not that you cannot rotate the switch to "off"?

I'm using an after market "Cessna" switch panel and FSUIPC (purchased) and I noticed that on all of my A2A aircraft if the engine does not start, I cannot rotate the switch to "Off" or any other position on my switch panel. I must use the mouse to rotate the switch. But, Once the engine starts, I can put the switch into any position. Not sure if this is what you're referring to?

Wish I had an answer for you, but if it is the same issue I certainly would like to know how to overcome it!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

zaruthoj
Airman

Post by zaruthoj »

Yes, that's exactly what I'm experiencing.

Normally it's not a problem, but if the engine fails to start I have to pull out the mouse, during which time the battery is draining since it's running the starter. Next thing you know I'm pulling up the maintenance hanger to recharge the battery. Very frustrating.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I thought that may be it! I too would like an answer, but I think it’s “built in” to the A2A aircraft. Someone may know of a way around it.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

zaruthoj
Airman

Post by zaruthoj »

I've got it working!

For some reason, it works when I write 1 or 0 to "L:Eng1_StarterSwitch", but not boolean true or false.

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

That’s great!

Sadly, I’m still using FSUIPC along with the Cessnas panel configurator and do not have time to learn how to program (as you appeared to have done) :?
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

In FSUIPC "Buttons + Switches" tab, on right hand side, for each switch position I use
the FS control for
"Magneto Off"
"Magneto Right"
"Magneto Left"
"Magneto Both"
"Magneto Start"
On Magneto Start release I use the LVAR Macro L:Eng1_StarterSwitch=SET and set the value to 0
Works perfectly!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”