Full flaps or partial flaps

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Full flaps or partial flaps

Post by Alfredson007 »

Have had fun with the Cherokee since its release and still loving it. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the touchdown, especially the lack of elevator authority on flare. When using full flaps i tend to have 40kg aft ballast, which helps a bit but not much... Yes, i've heard it is how the real old cherokee does, i've actually read RL forums were people use the same trick i do, having a ballast in the rear. None the less i still wish more "traditional" behaviour. If i use 2 notches of flaps, i have plenty more authority with the elevator... now i am actually flaring the aircraft rather than pulling all back and hoping for smooth touchdown... i can have smooth touchdowns with full flaps but it's ever more easier with 2 notches..

Though with just 2 notches of flaps i easily float even more... and i already feel a bit uncomfortable having so low final approach speeds....

How do you do it, full or partial flaps?

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Full flaps or partial flaps

Post by taildraggin68 »

Depends on weather settings and crosswind element.....strong cross and /or headwind, I will stay at two notches of flaps, short field I always use full flaps and have practiced no flap landings for emergency/failure situations.....depends on my daily sense of adventure I guess 8)

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

This is one of the beauties of flying properly modelled simulations - the real world will be more nuanced, and thus the situation will dictate what you do and when (and how much). :-)

I don't really have a set of rules - I just look at the situation and feel for what the aircraft tells me it needs for the approach to be better. If there is a tendency it is that on well configured approaches to larger airports I will not use the final notch. I'm usually "alone" in the airplane with some bagage and moderate loading of fuel. I have actually never flown the Cherokee with passengers, come to think of it. This will surely be a different situation regarding flaps...

In situations where there is lots of variable wind/turbulence I will want to have only one or two notches until I'm over the fence. I like a buffer of speed in case I need it, and I don't want my flaps to be "in the way".
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Generally if I'm going full flaps I'll bump the power just a tiny bit in the flare, just enough that I can hear the engine come up off idle, as if I were doing a soft-field. It's a lot more tricky with the latest update since the throttle's now a LOT more sensitive in the low power settings...but it's amazing how much more pitch authority you end up with from just that little bit of extra prop wash.

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I usually land with just 1 notch of flaps. Approach at 100IAS. Touch down at about 80IAS. The only time that I use more flaps, is when Iam coming in a bit high. Never had any issues with the elevator authority. Plenty there.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

robert41 wrote:I usually land with just 1 notch of flaps. Approach at 100IAS. Touch down at about 80IAS. The only time that I use more flaps, is when Iam coming in a bit high. Never had any issues with the elevator authority. Plenty there.
That seems pretty fast unless you've got a full payload...and yes, you're only ever going to run into elevator authority problems with the significant downward moment of full flaps, idle power, and forward CG loading (IE, pilot alone or front passengers only)

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

A few weeks ago I spent a couple of hours doing touch and goes in calm weather and playing around at the low speed end of the envelope. I highly recommend it. The 180 is a pussycat! Power off and stick back, rather than "stalling" it just descends nose high with plenty of rudder and aileron authority.

In light winds I routinely touch down flaps up at around 65, or with full flaps at 55. The trick, I think, is to carry a little bit of power so that the airflow over the tail gives you the elevator authority you need. Then you fly it gently onto the runway, since with the laminar flow wing you're not going to get the same sort of full stall arrival we've come to expect from most FSX planes. Those of you who know the A2A P-51 will be able to relate.

Thanks and congratulations to all at A2A for a truly remarkable creation. I may never fly anything else again!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

More flaps = slower touchdown speeds and thus shorter stopping distance.
If you have enough runway use as much or as little as you want (winds permitting). The amount of flaps you use only becomes a problem if you overrun the runway.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

n421nj wrote:More flaps = slower touchdown speeds and thus shorter stopping distance.
If you have enough runway use as much or as little as you want (winds permitting). The amount of flaps you use only becomes a problem if you overrun the runway.
There's also the silent advantage of using more flaps: decreased wear and longer life of the brakes. Not as important in the sim where repairs are free and can be done at any time, so this just depends on how you prefer to treat your aircraft.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Alfredson007 - it looks like the pitch behaviour with full flaps is being modified in the forthcoming update according to this post from Scott. I've always found it easier using just the second notch of flaps: I'll be keen to see how the update affects this. (Hopefully not too long to wait now...)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Nick M wrote:Alfredson007 - it looks like the pitch behaviour with full flaps is being modified in the forthcoming update according to this post from Scott. I've always found it easier using just the second notch of flaps: I'll be keen to see how the update affects this. (Hopefully not too long to wait now...)

Cheers,
Nick
Ah, so it seems. Great. Cant wait! Thanks for noticing me.

Cycliste1961
Airman First Class

Post by Cycliste1961 »

I use the landing instructions from an operating manual downloaded from the Dauntless website. Download abeam runway: 10 flaps, 90 MPH. Base 20 flaps, 80 MPH. Approach, 30 flaps, 70-75 MPH (1.3 * Vso). I flare until the IAS is 60 MPH and touch down slightly above stall speed. True, the elevator has little authority, and a good nose up flare is difficult to attain. Nevertheless, my landings are usually smooth.
We'll wait until the next update and go from there.
Intel i7-3770K, 16GB DDR3-1600 Ram, EVGA GTX970 FTW, Corsair AX 850, Windows 10 64bit, P3Dv3. TrackIR 5, CH Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant, 3 monitors. EFB, ASN on client computer

AndiK
Airman First Class

Post by AndiK »

Cycliste1961 wrote:abeam runway: 10 flaps, 90 MPH. Base 20 flaps, 80 MPH. Approach, 30 flaps, 70-75 MPH (1.3 * Vso). I flare until the IAS is 60 MPH and touch down slightly above stall speed.
That's about how I was taught too. 80-85 knots, flaps 1 on downwind, 70-75 knots flaps 2 on base, 60-65 knots flaps 3 once established on final, touch down by stalling it, at about 50 knots.
ImageImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”