Blackout at high altitude

The Low Wing Wonder
Bozdog
Airman First Class

Blackout at high altitude

Post by Bozdog »

I have yet to pass out in the Cessna , does the Cherokee have the same features if you fly too high ?
Cheers
Steve

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Re: Blackout at high altitude

Post by KloudKruiser »

Bozdog wrote:I have yet to pass out in the Cessna , does the Cherokee have the same features if you fly too high ?
Cheers
Steve
Good question. I inadvertently ended up at fl160 for a while and never got hypoxia. The cessna is a different story. The way they have programmed it so the screen oscillates for and aft when you start getting hypoxia literally gets me dizzy and a little sick lol. What Id like to see in the future on A2A GA planes is a SkyOX bottle on the back of the seats that you can click on when you start getting dizzy. Perhaps build in a time limit for it simulating running the bottle low. Anyhoo has anyone gotten hypoxia in the Cherokee?

Chris Strobel
Irvine, CA
www.flightdeck1.com

Thomasew
Airman

Post by Thomasew »

Hi,

Yip, .. happened to me. In fact, I had left FSX running in the background .. and, I hadn't set the AP Alt Hold, .. so, my Cherokee just kept on climbing, .. as I had a touch of up trim. :?

When I returned to FSX, .. I had a black screen in the cockpit, although I still had external views etc.. .. and initially thought it was some sort of Graphics glitch. I saved the Flight and re-started. Upon restart I saw that I was at +- 19,000 ft .. :shock:

.. anyhoo, within a couple of mins, .. my cockpit started moving in and out, almost as if I had hiccups .. thought I was going nuts. Shortly thereafter, my screen went black. It was at that point that I realized what was going on .. :idea: .. hypoxia.

Problem was, .. there was nothing I could do, as essentially, you've passed out. The plane would have probably kept on flying until it ran out of fuel. :(

I restarted the saved flight again, .. and right away I cut the throttle and started descending, .. and everything was ok after that. :)

A2A really need to model some wheezing, laboured breathing and gasping for air, .. sound effects .. :wink:

.. how else are we supposed to know we're passing out .. :)

C'mon A2A, where's the realism ?? .. huh? .. huh? :wink:

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Hey there. I dont know about the Cherokee as I have yet to buy it but I can say that the 172 will give you laboured breathing and screwy vision before you start to black out :shock: as I have tried this and it is simulated in the 172. Just at a guess I would think that the Cherokee is the same :| .

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

I asked that some time ago and Lewis have confirmed it will come in the first update as you see in this thread:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=40540

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Thomasew wrote:.. how else are we supposed to know we're passing out .. :)

Signs of hypoxia are treacherously subtle for yourself in real life, it is not like someone is strangling you. :) I understand that many victims of pressurization related accidents never really understood what was going on, or even if anything was at all, before gradually passing out.

-Esa

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

AKar wrote:
Thomasew wrote:.. how else are we supposed to know we're passing out .. :)

Signs of hypoxia are treacherously subtle for yourself in real life, it is not like someone is strangling you.
To add to this. The human body has no noticeable reaction to lowering blood oxygen. Gasping and wheezing is triggered by elevated carbon di-oxide levels, which the body can still get rid of. The real first signs would be increasing difficulty to concentrate and signs of lethargy, difficult to simulate. Advanced symptoms affect vision and can be simulated.

One possible simulation is to add a sway to the camera, this would increase the time it takes to read the gauges. The values in the tooltips could also introduce fluctuations, so you'd have to watch them longer to get an idea of the correct reading.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

KloudKruiser wrote:Anyhoo has anyone gotten hypoxia in the Cherokee?
The service ceiling on a 180 is only 16,400... If you passed out from hypoxia, you'd only have to drop below 15,000 to wake up. They probably didn't model it. A Cessna 172 ceiling is 13,500, not going to get hypoxia that low, probably not modeled there either.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You can certainly suffer symptoms of hypoxia at much lower altitudes, though the more extreme case of losing consciousness is very unlikely.

Night vision is noticeably affected at low altitudes such as 5000 feet.

A healthy individual can operate at less than peak efficiency for a prolonged period of time at 10k feet. Vision, attentiveness and logical processes are degrade over a period of hours.

Smokers, those with weaker cardiovascular health and others taking certain medications can give up a lot of altitude.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
KloudKruiser wrote:Anyhoo has anyone gotten hypoxia in the Cherokee?
They probably didn't model it.
You are right about that Bruce, pass out is not included in the Cherokee but will in the first update. As Lewis state in the thread I posted a link to above, it is not there but will be after the first update to the Cherokee.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Ahh, hadn't noticed that... Does that mean an O2 system will be added for altitudes, or do we just pass out?

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Tiger_Walts wrote:
One possible simulation is to add a sway to the camera.
That would probably make me throw up IRL! :oops: :? Lol! I've suffered from motion sickness playing FPS games in the past :mrgreen:
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

Bruce, I guess we have to wait and see if not any person from the A2A-team will tell us about it. It would be funny if they model it, a portable one maybe.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Probably just be a wrap around hose under your nostrils, like they use in hospitals. Simple addition to the shift -3 menu. :lol:

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

Ive never had had hypoxia in real life flying, but have rapidly acended from sea level to 12,000ft. via the palm springs areal tramway. After being on the peak for a smidge I started getting pretty dizzy. If your prone to any kind of motion sickness, the way A2A modeled the screen moving in and out does a pretty good job of getting you dizzy, at least it does me, but I have a very large monitor which fills a large part of my vision so that my contribute to the physical effect. When the screen starts moving in and out I know its time to start a rapid decent before the screen goes black. Pretty ingenious of A2A imho. Now as I said in my post above, it would be cool to have a supplimental oxygen bottle in the Piper and Cessna with a switch we could turn on, like in the A2A P51 versions. Future Accusim core update perhaps?

Chris Strobel
Irvine, CA
www.flightdeck1.com

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”