Have the turn coordinator physics been improved?

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Ty53650
Airman First Class

Have the turn coordinator physics been improved?

Post by Ty53650 »

Just curious, have these been improved since the 172 release? I know the team said they'd try and model the ball physics externally from FSX, has this been done? Does it still require constantly more rudder to keep ball centered? Hoping since this is marketed for professional users/flight schools that the ball behavior is more realistic versus A2A prior release (and basically all add-on aircraft besides RealAir, they nailed it pretty well)

Thanks. Also, I will say, the modeling and texture work on this release looks much better than usual, nice work!

Alec246
Airman First Class

Re: Have the turn coordinator physics been improved?

Post by Alec246 »

That's the one thing the Piper still lacks IMO is proper physics on the Turn Coordination Gauge. The Ball is always about centered, even when I apply lots of Rudder with little bank. Must be very hard to get this one hard.

SolRayz
Airman First Class

Post by SolRayz »

I thought I read that the Cherokee aileron and rudder are somewhat linked aiding in coordinated turns. So the ball shouldn't go too spastic.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

SolRayz wrote:I thought I read that the Cherokee aileron and rudder are somewhat linked aiding in coordinated turns. So the ball shouldn't go too spastic.
That's an Ercoupe. :P

But I don't remember the Cherokee having a big appetite for rudder when banking at shallow angles at cruise... may lead one to be a bit lazy with rudder application.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

SolRayz
Airman First Class

Post by SolRayz »

Ah ok, my mistake.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

so many planes... so many unique characteristics... so little time! :D
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

SolRayz wrote:I thought I read that the Cherokee aileron and rudder are somewhat linked aiding in coordinated turns. So the ball shouldn't go too spastic.
The Tri-Pacer had an aileron/rudder interconnect. It got mixed reviews from instructors. Mine was negative.
Pilots who trained in these airplanes tended to "drive" the airplane which made their crosswind landings suffer.
The PA28-180 does have differential ailerons that help reduce adverse yaw.
The rudder is linked to the nose wheel through a specific arc.
Piper doesn't recommend testing the rudder while the plane is standing still. It can be done but stresses the system.
I always tested the rudder interconnect while taxiing with forward motion on the airplane by making gentle S turns.
Dudley Henriques

Ty53650
Airman First Class

Post by Ty53650 »

Hardly an issue. With such a great view over the nose, I'll just coordinate visually. Perhaps one day A2A can fix flight sims wonky turn coordinator physics once and for all. Great work on the cherokee, as I said before, the modeling and texture work on the VC is the best yet!

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Has Realair been able to overcome this inherent FSX flaw though? Their turn ball sure seems to work pretty accurately on both the Lancair and V2 Piston Duke, but maybe I'm confused.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Hobart Escin wrote:Has Realair been able to overcome this inherent FSX flaw though? Their turn ball sure seems to work pretty accurately on both the Lancair and V2 Piston Duke, but maybe I'm confused.
I think so too. In my mind the legacy has the best ball behaviour of all sims.

Ty53650
Airman First Class

Post by Ty53650 »

Alfredson007 wrote:
Hobart Escin wrote:Has Realair been able to overcome this inherent FSX flaw though? Their turn ball sure seems to work pretty accurately on both the Lancair and V2 Piston Duke, but maybe I'm confused.
I think so too. In my mind the legacy has the best ball behaviour of all sims.
Agreed. They've clearly found a way around the FSX limitations. A2A isn't far behind on this release though, I'd say the turn coordinator is my only (small) complaint.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”