First Impressions

The Low Wing Wonder
pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

First Impressions

Post by pilottj »

First flight from KDXR to KBDL was really nice, both hand flying and tried out the AP. Be sure to read the documentation on it's use....it is different than the typical BK AP.

Just like the real Cherokee, the A2A Cherokee very stable and easy to hand fly as advertised. I hand flew the GPS LPV approach into KBDL...easiest airplane I have ever flown an approach in.

RXP users be sure to check the RXP FAQ notes on the Tech forum.

All in all, another A2A masterpeice. I smell another Avsim Platinum award comming. :D

Only minor thing I notices was the Beacon effects file not working, however maybe I need to run Steve's DX10 fixer again to update the recently installed Cherokee effects and textures.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: First Impressions

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey TJ, yes you will need to run the fixer again if a fixer user so that it will convert the files for use with the fixer.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Thanks Lewis :) The only other minor thing I noticed is the window vent sound playing when opened and the aircraft is first loaded with everything shut off. I didn't hear it after I shut down the aircraft after a flight tho.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Brett_Henderson
Senior Airman

Post by Brett_Henderson »

I'm impressed (not that I doubed I would be)...

It seems that a lot was learned and passed on; from C172 development, into this beauty.. no "rough" edges to speak of, so far.. :)

The little things capture me.. like seeing fuel right up to (and touching) the tab (swear I smelled 100LL)... and the door-latching is done very well .. :)

In-flight.. as good as I had expected.. gotta work that trim crank :) (and NOT forget to center it before tying down) ... Flap deployment really makes it feel like an old Warrior.. not just the pitch-effect, but the "sluggish / heaviness"...

Overall performance (take-off / climb / cruise / descent) is accurate... and it's probably just my memory filling in the FSX realism blanks, but the CoG is eerily familiar.. very nose-heavy on approach with just front-seat occupants..

Overall.. outstanding !

Thanks A2A !

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Outstanding work and development. If first impressions are significant, then I'm going to have a bunch of lonely, dusty, and rusty airplanes in my virtual hanger. The cherokee is a smooth, gentle, and forgiving airplane. Easy to fly yet quite responsive to control inputs even at low speeds. The physics are amazing, with airplane acting as expected departing 28J (Larkin) to the East, catching the updraft bumps crossing the river and then feeling the seabreeze pushing against the nose on the way to the beaches.

Very much a top shelf product.

Brett_Henderson
Senior Airman

Post by Brett_Henderson »

Had to clear some fouled plugs (nicely modeled).. then, when applying takeoff power, I got a "sputter" that made me think they were still fouled.. but it dawned on me that I had applied the power a bit too quickly...

Nice touch :) (it's those little things)

lawdawg
Senior Airman

Post by lawdawg »

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Will be in the air soon...got RW stuff to do first...arrrrgh!!
This is all good stuff to hear...can't wait.
Chad (PAEN)

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

Took her out for a spin. I've intentionally avoided reading up beforehand or looking at the videos, in part to keep a fresh mindset, in part to make the wait less unbearable. Thus I may have been the only one surprised by the model year - I was expecting something more recent, but am not disappointed.

To make a long story short: No major surprises. RW experience carried straight across. The planned pattern or two felt so good that it turned into a climb to the free airspace south of my Piper airport for a few stall tests, followed by a few power on and power off landings.

The only thing I found which was unxpected was that I ran out of positive (pitch up) elevator authority in the flare. Not by far ready to call anything on that one though - still one of those "feeeeeeeel" things, and may not carry any substance. Now on to looking at the details!

All in all: Good job, a much awaited aircraft now lives on my hard drive! I see this replacing your C172 as my favourite GA steed in FSX.

Cheers,
/Fred
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Time for a quick flight only. Stunning. Still getting the feel. Back to work now but eager for more.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Here's my impressions.

WOW!! This will easily going to be my choice of weapon instead of the C172 which is nice too of course...

I really love the outside visibility, the fact you see the wings, and the plane is less sensitive to fly compared to the C172. The engine roar is amazing.... The gauges are very readible... view point is perfect... this plane is everything i hoped it would be. And the taxying! omg! For my setup, this plane is near perfect. I still don't like the trim that is too slow for my taste (it will speed up, but i think it should speed up earlier, well gonna buy me some new HW so then it won't matter)...

I also would have wished it would have had an ASI with knots rather than miles... but first time for everything (in GA planes for fsx) ...

Only one wish for the model itself... I wish that the config tool would have shortcuts for fuel tank selector...

Thanks!

Don Quixote
Airman

Post by Don Quixote »

Just took the Cherokee up for a short flight... wonderful! I love the sound of the engine. The plane is very easy to handle - apart from the trimming, which can be somewhat tricky. Definetly looking forward to many hours in this!

Personally I really think the Pre-flight which was introduced with the C172 adds a lot to the experience. I'm glad to see it in other aircraft as well.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Alfredson007 wrote:I also would have wished it would have had an ASI with knots rather than miles... but first time for everything (in GA planes for fsx) ...
Take a look at the ASI one more time. The inner scale has the knots for you.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

I had forgotten how much different the Pipers are from the Cessnas... It feels TOTALLY different...

I love it after one single flight of simple pattern work around Rügen... It will take me a bit of getting used to when landing. I had to go around, as I overdid it during the flare... third time better...

This is flight simulation at its finest...

A
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

ROB - A2A wrote:
Alfredson007 wrote:I also would have wished it would have had an ASI with knots rather than miles... but first time for everything (in GA planes for fsx) ...
Take a look at the ASI one more time. The inner scale has the knots for you.

regards
ROB
Ah, so it seems. Little hard to read though without zooming in.. but it is there for reference. Thanks.

Mig_Driver
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mig_Driver »

The thing flies so smooth it's incredible. 70 knots touchdown speed yielded a nice scrub and chirp of the wheels... MAN what a ride she is. And one beauty of a climber!
ALL THE A2A PLANES!!!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”