Can't keep this plane in the air!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Can't keep this plane in the air!

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi monkeysuncle.
When you installed the aircraft , did you update it .
Also have you got any controls duplicated , that may be causing a conflict , and with regard to control lock , yoke needs to be pushed in before pin can be removed , also do you have any add ons to the sim that may be interfering .
And when you had first issue did you come here asking for help or did you uninstall and reinstall first , because if an uninstall was done , you might not have done a clean uninstall before a reinstall.
regards Alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Some good advice from Alan above Dave. If you haven't already done so, definitely run the Accu-Sim update for FSX (it can be downloaded here) before you try any further troubleshooting. Also, please can you let us know which aircraft loads with your default FSX flight? Using complex add-on aircraft such as the 172 will cause unexpected behaviour from time-to-time, so we recommend using one of the default FSX aircraft for the default flight.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

monkeysuncle
Airman

Post by monkeysuncle »

I had run the update already, but I've run it again now to be safe. It informed be that I was already up to date. I set up the A2A trainer as my default aircraft, but I think I've be running fsx with as default and without. I will change it, and try again.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi monkeysuncle.
In my FSX+Acceleration the default free flight is the red trike at friday harbour , only change i made to the default flight was moving trike from flying at friday harbour to COLD and DARK parked at friday harbour.
regards Alan. 8)

monkeysuncle
Airman

Post by monkeysuncle »

I've had my default plane be my Carenado 182RG for years with no issues. It's hard to take the leap I need to make the red trike at Friday Harbour the default flight, just to make my controls lock work properly, and I'm not deny my total respect for everyone's expertise on this forum! There HAS to be a definable solution to fix this. I will uninstall and reinstall the aircraft and see how it goes. Thanks all!
Dave

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

did you remove any files prior to updating?
You can force an up date by removing a file from your system. As far as I know, uninstalling the aircraft will not remove the update file. this is for the A2A cherokee, but I'm sure you get the idea.
A long time ago :a2a: Nick said:
If you want to manually force an update on the FSX Cherokee, you can delete the following file and then rerun the updater from here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57819

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\Cherokee180\Update_fsx\client.wyc
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

monkeysuncle wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 09:58 I've had my default plane be my Carenado 182RG for years with no issues. It's hard to take the leap I need to make the red trike at Friday Harbour the default flight, just to make my controls lock work properly, and I'm not deny my total respect for everyone's expertise on this forum! There HAS to be a definable solution to fix this. I will uninstall and reinstall the aircraft and see how it goes. Thanks all!
Dave
I have had the default trike at Friday Harbor for many many many many years now. It's very known, even to FS2004 circles that saving a complex addon as the default flight is asking for trouble.

From an FS9 Freeware,
CAUTION - Use of the default FS9 TURBOPROP ENGINE water start up flight inside FS9, followed by a switch to any Z.506, is not recommended, but is 'possible'. Beware using a TURBOPROP STARTUP of FS9 to invoke the wrong kind of MICROSOFT FLIGHT MODEL (FM) from the *FLIGHTS* menu may fail to initialise and / or reset some PISTON FLIGHT MODEL (FM) STARTUP variables. Switching third party aircraft flight dyanmics (FD) from the select *AIRCRAFT* menu may not resolve that initial consumer MICROSOFT STARTUP FLIGHT Flight Model (FM) error.
From the FSX PMDG Manual,
There is a common misconception that when loading a complex simulation like the PMDG 737NGX that you should first load the default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 737NGX on top of it. This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend the practice at all. What is required however is for a default Microsoft aircraft to be your default startup flight in FSX. The reason for this is that this flight actually loads in the background invisible to the user – if it’s set to a complex addon it can result in the inability to set certain internal variables that the 737 relies on until the simulator is restarted. We identified this issue as far back as 2006 and asked Microsoft to fix it, but it unfortunately never happened.
I don't see any mention of this in the A2A manual, or the AVSIM CTD Guide. But as you've seen, the word gets around quickly. Just about as soon as somebody mentions they have an addon saved as the default flight.

TIP: With the trike flight, reposition it to the airport of your choice, and set it's invisible parking brake (it doesn't actually have one) with the keyboard combo. I like to make sure it's set with a good blast of throttle after. When you load an A2A product (with AUTO C&D enabled), A2A will detect parking brake set on the ground, and immediately spawn a cold start condition (I think the same config you had when you last closed the sim on the ground with the parking brake set, or else a default tied down state).

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

monkeysuncle wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 09:58 I've had my default plane be my Carenado 182RG for years with no issues. It's hard to take the leap I need to make the red trike at Friday Harbour the default flight, just to make my controls lock work properly, and I'm not deny my total respect for everyone's expertise on this forum! There HAS to be a definable solution to fix this. I will uninstall and reinstall the aircraft and see how it goes. Thanks all!
Dave
Yup the issue is that the default isn't correct that will cause issues. The fix is to remove it from being the default flight. Whilst it has worked for you fine for years, issues like you are hitting now are why it is always advised against. Ultimately what you are doing is making the sim load a certain way forcing it to error should it not fit that certain way. Its why we, PMDG, Milviz and the majority of third party software developers always advised the default to be the default wherever possible as it keeps a level playing field and avoids too much frustration on both sides when troubleshooting from FS2004 to FSX and now P3D.

Regarding the reinstall, if using FSX you'll need to manually delete the update folder and then re-run the update otherwise the files will be present telling the system it is already up to date. Let us know if you want help finding the update folder.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

monkeysuncle
Airman

Post by monkeysuncle »

Yes, the update folder location will be helpful.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

For the Cherokee it looks like this:

Code: Select all

[yourinstallation-directory-path]\FSX\A2A\Cherokee180\Update_fsx\
-- > client.wyc
For complete re-install of the plane, I guess, you should first save the whole A2A\[plane] directory to a different location and than delete it.
Re-install the plane.
After this, updater should be run and it will recognize that fresh installation needs to be updated.

Hope this is correct and helps
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

monkeysuncle
Airman

Post by monkeysuncle »

Sweet, thanks! I did a reinstall, but I'll do it again with a removal and reinstall of the updater. I had some errors using the the A2A 172 config utility (setting up the RealityXP GPS and the lights setting), so, before I report that, I'll see if I still get the errors after the reinstallations. I've also uninstalled the P3D version of the plane, just to keep it simple for now (I'm not really using P3D right now, just concentrating on FSX). If there are any "Dos" and "Don'ts" regarding the RealityXP integration, I'm all ears.

thanks again, all,
Dave

monkeysuncle
Airman

Post by monkeysuncle »

Success!! Reinstallation of the plane and the update, resetting the default aircraft, etc. Seems to have fixed my problem.

Thanks everyone who took the time to help me!!

Best to all, Dave

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Happy to see that you've got your 172 going!

Seeya
ATB

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Dave.
Well done , glad you are at last up and running , A2A make the best aircraft for flight sim in my opinion , i started with the C172 and ended up with a fleet of A2A aircraft , now i am spoilt for choice.
regards Alan. 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Monkeysuncle: Fly around in the 172. Please watch those SimCFI videos. THEN - get the free A2A P-40. Think you're having fun now? Just you wait!

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”