Black cockpit in P3Dv5.1

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
DomiMili
Airman

Black cockpit in P3Dv5.1

Post by DomiMili »

Hello, long time user of A2A products here.
Some time ago, I installed A2A 172 for P3Dv5.1 along with other A2A products (I decided not to update to v5.2 yet, I'll update to 5.3 directly)
Ever since I installed it, it didn't work properly. Not to everly describe it, it had a black cockpit and was black on the outside aswell. For the 172 this happened after starting the engine, for the T-6 it happened both on take-off and when damaging the propeller. It could sometimes be reset with setting different texture resolution. If I changed to a different plane, the issue would persist, it even messed up some of the scenery objects - runway, buildings. After removing all A2A planes, it was back to normal.
I'm really looking forward to solving this, since I can't use my products now.

Thanks for your help.
Dominik

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Black cockpit in P3Dv5.1

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Dominik,

It looks like there's a problem with your shaders in P3Dv5. Are you running any software which modifies the shaders in the simulator?

If you're not updating to P3Dv5.3 at the moment, I'd recommend you reset your P3D setting to default and delete the sim's shader cache. To do this, you can delete the Prepar3D.cfg (make a back up first if you wish) so the sim generate a fresh copy.

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Prepar3D.cfg

Similarly, delete the following folder so the sim rebuilds the shaders from scratch.

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DomiMili
Airman

Post by DomiMili »

Hello Nick,
I've already tried deleting the shader cache and even deleting the shaders and repairing the client.
I have used ReShade before installing A2A, but I didn't really like it so I uninstalled it using the installer.
Haven't erased p3d.cfg before, so I tried together with deleting the shaders AGAIN with no difference. Still black.

Appreciate your effort,
Dominik

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the additional info Domi. To be quite honest, I'd really recommend doing a clean update to P3Dv5.3 Hotfix 1 which was recently released. There seems to be something quite fundamentally broken with your current P3Dv5 installation assuming that your graphics card etc. meets the minimum requirements.

I think unlike with FSX, we all have to be prepared to try and keep the host sim up to date with the various new sub-versions which Lockheed Martin release periodically. Failing this, you could try the 'Delete Generated Files' shortcut in your main P3D directory as the most effective automated way to reset the sim. Actually, I'd also recommend doing this prior to, or just after, updating to v5.3 HF1.

Please can you also confirm the version number of the 172 itself from the Windows list of installed programs. At the time of writing, the most recent version is 20.6.18.0.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DomiMili
Airman

Post by DomiMili »

The version is up to date.
I didn't want to update since I heard there will be some addons that won't work, for eg. PMDG planes.

I may consider it if you tell me I won't have issues
Thanks,
Dominik

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”