P3D 5.1 CTD with 172 trainer

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Exelta
Airman

Re: P3D 5.1 CTD with 172 trainer

Post by Exelta »

At first install it said that I already had DirectX12, then the last time I tried to reinstall the 172 it said it would install some additional components and that completed successfully.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks. Please can you also just confirm the version number of the 172 that's shown if you click its entry in the Windows list of installed apps.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

It's 20.6.18.0

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for confirming.

If you could upload the dxdiag.txt file you mentioned earlier to a file sharing site such as Dropbox we could take a look. It may also be helpful to verify if it's an audio issue by disabling the Accu-Sim sounds.

The easiest way to do this is to rename the whole "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\Gauges" folder so the dlls within aren't loaded. Please could you give this a try and let us know if the apphang still occurs when you load the 172?

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

Here's a link to the dxdiag.txt file

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1II9 ... sp=sharing

And yes, it does work when renaming the Gauges file.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for checking that. I just requested access to the dxdiag file. However, if the dxdiag apphang isn't happening without the Accusim.dll active, it seems to suggest it may be an audio issue. The dxdiag file should hopefully shed a little more light on this.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

You may try again, the link is now public (not an expert at this).

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Exelata - now I can access it.

One thing I note is that a Logitech USB Headset is selected as the default audio device rather than the onboard Realtek chip. Normally this shouldn't cause a problem, except needing to select this device in the Accusim sounds menu. However, please can you check if you have the most recent device drivers installed for this headset?

If updating the headset drivers doesn't resolve the issue, the next step would be to try loading the 172 when the onboard sound is set as the default playback device rather than the Logitech headset.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

The Logitech USB headset's drivers are 10.0.19041.388, date 07/07/20. It says the provider is Microsoft. Windows says they the best drivers are installed. Unable to find headset drivers on Logitech's page.

Unsure as well as which one is the onboard Realtek chip to set as default audio device. I tried to make Realtek digital output as default but it CTD as well.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

Oh, I think I get it. I have speakers connected to the mobo audio output, you want those as default audio device? It freezes anyway, I already tried.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

USB headset unplugged, speakers set to default and display settings set to default in P3D doesn't solve it either.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for checking that Exelta. This is definitely an odd issue: it actually seems to be dxdiag itself which is hanging on your machine. I compared your dxdiag report to my own, and I noticed I have a different problem report ascribed to the Prepar3D.exe. In my case, this isn't related to the AppHangXProcB1 and I don't have any issue with CTDs with any aircraft in the sim.

Having done a bit more research, I found this post which mentions a similar dxdiag-related issue with P3D. The apparent solution (relating to a powered USB hub) is posted here.

It may also be worth testing with the raw input API rather than direct input (this setting is available under "other controls" in P3D options). Raw input was default in P3Dv4, but this was changed to direct Input for v5.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

I saw that post as well. I don't have a powered USB hub.

Raw input does not help, unfortunately.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sorry we haven't been able to get to the bottom of this issue yet Exelta - seems there's something quite unusual about your configuration which is causing the dxdiag hang. It's not unique though as at least one other report more-or-less exactly matches: for example, this one I found related to the Aerosoft Airbus which unfortunately doesn't include a resolution.

Have you tried running the sim with as many hardware devices as possible unplugged? For example, just launching P3D with a mouse, keyboard and a single monitor connected to your PC?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Exelta
Airman

Post by Exelta »

Problem solved!

A thorough and clean uninstall following a guide on AVSIM and a careful, progressive installation, following another guide by the same author, did the trick. P3D has now it's own root folder, outside of Program Files. One shall not underestimate the importance of a good installation.

Thanks again for your help, I'll go learn with your awesome aircraft!

E.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”