Troubleshooting BSOD

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Enrico shark
Airman

Troubleshooting BSOD

Post by Enrico shark »

Hello, I'm having some issues with the C172 on FSX where I get a BSOD with video tdr failure. I tried every option but it still does it. I had the same issue with the Bonanza but I solved it by using the non-mipmap textures and having the VC textures "blurred". Is there a way of doing this for the C172?

This thing still puzzles me because I have the Comanche and it works perfectly even with the HD textures. Does the C172 have more demanding graphics for video cards? My Graphics card is 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 210 (ZOTAC International).

Thank you for the help!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Troubleshooting BSOD

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

I think the first thing to check is have you made sure your video card drivers are up-to-date using the installer from NVIDIA's website?

Could you also give us a bit more info on your system. For example, which version of Windows are you using? Also which version of FSX, and have you tried adjusting (reducing) your graphics settings within the sim a bit?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Enrico shark
Airman

Post by Enrico shark »

Yes, my NVIDIA drivers are up to date. I also totally wiped them and reinstalled them when I had the issue. I have FSX SP2. I am using windows 10 and is upgraded to the latest version. I actually downgraded my graphics setting a bit. I have everything set on low to medium. This is also very random. I managed a 40 minutes flight once, but most of the time it gives the BSOD just seconds after engine startup.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info. If the BSOD occurs just after engine start, it's possible that particle (i.e smoke) effects are pushing this rather old graphics card too hard.

Make sure that the "special effects detail" slider is set to its minimum value and if the issue persists, I recommend you try disabling some of the 172's custom smoke effects. The easiest way to do this is to create a new folder called something like "Disabled effects" in the "Effects" directory for FSX and then find all the files which begin "fx_a2a_c172_" and contain the word "smoke" and move some or all of them into this folder. This should at least show if it's the particle effects which are causing the issue.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Enrico shark
Airman

Post by Enrico shark »

Hello, Nick. I tried what you said, but unfortunately no luck. I put the smoke effects in the disabled effects folder and tuned the slider down to a minimum.
I loaded the plane, cranked the engine and I left it at the parking with the engine on and without touching anything else. After 10 minutes with the engine revving at 900rpm I had the BSOD.

Thank you
Enrico

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Enrico.

I'm guessing your graphics card is quite a few years old and was at the entry-level end even then, so it may be that it's simply being pushed too hard.

However, it may be worth checking that its cooling efficiency isn't being hindered by accumulated dust.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Enrico shark
Airman

Post by Enrico shark »

Temperature is fine, in the previous attempts I ran it with speccy open and before the BSOD there was no overheating.
My hunch is that textures might be too HD for it. Like I would need to run textures that are 1024 max, but maybe the C172 has 2048 or 4096.
But the Comanche runs without issues, and the technology should be the same. Also, I have no problems in running longhaul with the PMDG B777 for 8 or 9 hours.

The card is old indeed, but unfortunately I do not have the chance to update it in the near future.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Just to clarify something from your first post, when you say "I had the same issue with the Bonanza but I solved it by using the non-mipmap textures and having the VC textures 'blurred'." do you mean you used the default mipmapped textures? It's the mipmaps that allow reduction of the displayed texture size, but the non-mipmapped textures don't.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Enrico shark
Airman

Post by Enrico shark »

Yeah, my mistake. I used the mipmapped textures. Because at first with the "whole HD cockpit" I had the BSOD then with the other textures I had the writings blurred, but no issues. Whereas on the Comanche everything works perfectly fine.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Are you familiar with the free DXTBmp texture tool Enrico?

https://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

If so, you could use it to add mipmaps to the textures for the 172 and see if this helps.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Enrico shark
Airman

Post by Enrico shark »

I have never heard of it. I'll try and see if I can work with it

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hello Enrico.

As it's not really a technical problem per se, I answered here.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=35925&start=435#p536476

Steve.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”