Aircraft Rotating Itself at 45ish Knots

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
HighFlier
Airman

Aircraft Rotating Itself at 45ish Knots

Post by HighFlier »

Hello,

Just installed the Cessna 172R today. Took it for a test and discovered the aircraft would aggressively rotate itself into the air at around 45 Knots while also banking hard to left. I was wondering whether this was due to an installation error. I uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue still exists.

Details Section:
Upgraded Prop for the 180HP and 2700RPM.
Nose Wheel and Mains Fairings
Flap Seals
Fine Spark Plugs
20W-50 Oil + Additive
Airplane Weight is 2135 Pounds
Loaded Airplane Moment/1000 is 84.3 Pound*Inches (within Normal Category Limits)
Airplane C.G. is 39.5 (within Utility Category Limits)
No weather, was using the default fair skies option
Flaps 10 was in use
Running the latest version of the C172 (19.12.27.0)
Running the latest version of P3Dv4.5 (4.5.13.32097)
Both the C172 and P3D are academic licenses as I am an undergraduate student.
Hardware controls are calibrated and FSUIPC is not installed.

I think that covers everything. I’m working only my Private Pilot Certificate in real life and have done quite a few takeoffs at this point. I’ve never experienced the real plane rotate itself, especially not 10 knots below the rotation speed. I’ve also never had the real plane roll and yaw to the left so aggressively as the A2A did. I’ve heard great things about A2A and besides what I’m experienced on take-off, everything I have seen thus far is amazing.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Aircraft Rotating Itself at 45ish Knots

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello HighFlier and welcome.

If you've fitted the S-equivalent prop, I recommend using a bit of extra nose-down trim prior to takeoff. However, with the standard prop, it shouldn't be necessary to adjust trim.

In either case, timing and judging the amount of right rudder input during rotation may be a little trickier in the simulator than in real life as you don't have the benefit of any control forces or 'feel'. The same obviously goes for any control inputs with the yoke.

Good luck with your PPL. It may be worth having a chat with your instructor about using the sim if you haven't already done this. He or she may recommend that you concentrate on getting a feel for the real aircraft that you're training in, rather than switching between the sim and real thing. However, I guess it all depends on what stage of training you're at and how frequently you're taking lessons.

Just out of interest, what's the real world type that you're taking lessons in?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

HighFlier
Airman

Re: Aircraft Rotating Itself at 45ish Knots

Post by HighFlier »

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the tips, I'll put in some nose down trim next time.

I'm currently taking lessons in a Cessna 172S with analog avionics and fly on average around 4 hours a week. I should clarify that I don't intend on using the A2A as a supplement to my real flight training. I've been a flight simmer for most of my life but after spending the past several weeks in a real 172, I no longer enjoy the default GA aircraft offered by P3D and was looking for something more realistic. I hope that by purchasing the A2A it will allow me to continue to enjoy GA flying in P3D during my free time. I don't intend on taking any 'feel' I've gathered from the A2A and applying it to the real plane.

Thanks again for the input.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”