Uninstall Problem

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Uninstall Problem

Post by Nick - A2A »

Please could you make another directory listing of the contents of your 'restored' A2A 172 installation (i.e. the one that you moved back to its original location) for comparison purposes. I'm must admit, I'm rather puzzled as to what's going on on your system with all these extra files.

Do you have a full administrator account for Windows?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RadioMan
Airman

Post by RadioMan »

Hope this is what you mean https://www.dropbox.com/s/d32q067o49y0l ... l.txt?dl=0.
I do have admin access, that is, when necessary, out of security reasons I don't like to have admin privileges all the time but I guess nobody wants that and they do the run as administrator trick. When I look at the accounts screen I see my name, e-mail and underneath that, Administrator.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for that.

Looking at the listing, it seems you haven't moved the files back to their original location successfully.

The path shown in the attachment is "C:\Users\janni\OneDrive\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" but it should be "C:\Users\janni\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A".

Please can you try making this change (i.e. make a folder called "Documents" in your OneDrive folder and move the "Prepar3D Add-ons" folder into it) and then retry the uninstallation.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RadioMan
Airman

Post by RadioMan »

You wouldn't believe me if I say this, but I totally looked over this and secondly that other directory is still there, that's probably why I never had problems running the c172, anyway in this folder it's obvious it misses some of the files so I put those back from the other location, that didn't do the trick, so I made a screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2wvyq6byzuv6 ... r.jpg?dl=0 and I noticed the following that the file a2a_c172_gyro.wav should be a2a_c172_gyro.WAV when I compared it to the other files, that made the uninstaller do some extra stuff, but then it stopped again, complaining about a2a_c172_gyro.wav.
Now I'm getting close to the end, but I got to describe to you what I did, I realised one more thing, sometimes a file if it's on onedrive may not exist on the local drive anymore, but if the pc needs it, onedrive will download it again from the cloud. This became also clear with the screenshot I just posted here. The cloud symbol behind the filename means the file is not longer on the local disk, but still available in the cloud. So I started onedrive again, told it to sync all the files, made sure the file that caused issues had the .WAV extension and now it successfully uninstalled again.

Now I realize that all this was in vain, but because I had to get to the roots of the cause I think I ruined the installation in the process, so I had to successfully uninstall it to get things working again. Thank you for your help and I'm sorry it took so long, but I tried to explain how I solved it in the end as good as I can, so maybe in the future somebody else can profit from this.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update RadioMan - you're welcome and glad we got there in the end. :)

Actually, the file extensions aren't case sensitive, so it being .WAV rather than .wav or vice-versa should cause any issues. However, if the uninstaller can't find the entire asset it's trying to modify because it's been moved that certainly explains the problem. A few missing files won't cause any issues, but if OneDrive is actively managing these files then it may prevent other programs from being able to write to them. Maybe it's OneDrive that created all those *.tmp files? I'm not sure.

I think when Lockheed Martin made the choice of placing the "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" autodetect folder in the user's "Documents" directory this was before OneDrive was built into the installation process of Windows 10, though I may be wrong. In any case, as we can now see, it not a good idea to install any software inside the OneDrive directory and this is something that I think we'll have to add to the FAQ thread.

One last tip: after uninstalling your A2A products, please manually delete the leftover "A2A" directory with all those *.tmp files and then launch P3D before reinstalling them to allow it to flush its add-ons.cfg files.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RadioMan
Airman

Post by RadioMan »

I tried and I tried, but it keeps saying that there is still at least one A2A Simulations add-on installed, but I got this folder completely removed. And I started P3D to have it remove from that system.
Ofcourse I didn't restart the pc, but I'm not capable of doing that as there is some other task (not related to P3D at all) running on my pc and that's been running for almost 6 hours and I don't want to start that all over again. But I don't think it would matter, but just in case, yes I uninstalled it the whole A2A folder disappeared from that location and I got to admit with you, I don't want to have it back there, but your installer forces me to do that, so I'm guessing there are some leftovers in the registry or something that still point to this specific folder.
But yeah, onedrive is a nice system to keep an automated backup of your documents, but it shouldn't backup other stuff, but then again I shouldn't have put it in to my documents folder which was linked to onedrive. But yeah the computer still needs about 2-3 hours and then I restart and see if that helped, but so far it's not yet finished.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

When launching P3D to refresh the add-ons.cfg files it normally shouldn't be necessary to restart the PC, but in your case given the issues discussed it's probably best to wait until you're able to do this before attempting any reinstalls.

Also, make absolutely sure the "C:\Users\janni\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" folder has been removed, and also I guess "C:\Users\janni\OneDrive\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A" just to be on the safe side.

If this doesn't work, please let us know as it's possible to manually edit the add-ons.cfg file to remove any A2A entries.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RadioMan
Airman

Post by RadioMan »

The restart didn't work, both folders have been deleted, but I noticed something else again..... https://www.dropbox.com/s/d29uvmygix228 ... 8.png?dl=0 and this is very weird, as you can see it mentions Documenten as the folder, which is dutch for Documents (yes, I'm dutch) but I changed my OS language back to dutch (it's on english because I use voice recognition both for ATC and another program named Tower3DPro and for them to run you need to run your OS in english.
Anyways, I changed the language back to dutch but then it also changes the name of the Users folder to Gebruikers (dutch for Users) so then the link in this screenshot isn't valid either. I think to manually edit the add-ons.cfg file, so that's what I am gonna do now, unless you thought of another way?

RadioMan
Airman

Post by RadioMan »

Yep edited the add-ons.cfg file and now it's working as it should :) Thanks again for all your help.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good stuff RadioMan - was just about to post some instructions on how to do this, but sounds like you have it figured out. Good to hear you're back in business!

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”