FPS impact with cockpit lights on after PBR update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Re: FPS impact with cockpit lights on after PBR update

Post by Gabe777 »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 09:48 Hello,

First : thanks a lot for listening our feedback!

second : unfortunately the new update doesn't change anything for me...even with turning off "dynamic lights" in P3D options, and I don't see any difference on the FPS between the optimized glareshield version and the original ( I've made several try to see if I didn't do something wrong...).

What i've found out is, I'm not sure the dynamic light is the hugest FPS impact, I didn't understand it at first time, because obviously, I needed a sort of light in the cockpit by night time to see what I'm doing so I've blamed the lights...
But I've did the following experiment : at night, all lights on ( landing, taxi, glareshield, gauges ) I get around 25 fps, at night with landing, taxi and gauges I get around 30, at night without any light on I get 32 fps, and during day time without any light on : 52 fps...

So I guess, at least for me, there is something wrong with the PBR, I've never found a difference with others aircrafts at flying at night, including those with PBR, here, with the c172, it cost me right away 20 fps, and if I turn the glareshield on, it's 5 fps more...it's huge, almost half of what I usually have, just by passing from day to night. I've made those test on a scenery that is light on fps, usually, I'm mostly around 30 + fps, so if I add weather and densely populated area, it makes the c 172 completely impossible to fly at night for me.

Here are some screen cap of the test I've made :

Hope this can be improve, thanks again for listening and your work!

Best!
Try turning off dynamic lighting in the P3D settings. You will know it's off, if you cannot see the beacon and nav lights reflected off the ground.

DL has a huge hit in P3D and even worse if your airport has it too !

The glareshield lighting should not be linked to this system. It is analogous to 'Real Light'... but works seperately. You should find it still works with DL switched On.

Then you can narrow down what impact each component is having on your fps performance.
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Eric Bakker
Airman First Class

Post by Eric Bakker »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 09:48 second : unfortunately the new update doesn't change anything for me...even with turning off "dynamic lights" in P3D options, and I don't see any difference on the FPS between the optimized glareshield version and the original ( I've made several try to see if I didn't do something wrong...).
Did you change the new setting in the A2A C172 Aircraft Configurator program?
Dynamic Lights Mode - Optimized
Bonanza - T6 Texan - Constellation - PA-24 Comanche - PA-28 Cherokee - C182 Skylane - C172 Trainer - Spitfire - Accu-Feel
| [email protected] | RTX2080ti-11Gb | Win10

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 09:48 Hello,

First : thanks a lot for listening our feedback!

second : unfortunately the new update doesn't change anything for me...even with turning off "dynamic lights" in P3D options, and I don't see any difference on the FPS between the optimized glareshield version and the original ( I've made several try to see if I didn't do something wrong...).

What i've found out is, I'm not sure the dynamic light is the hugest FPS impact, I didn't understand it at first time, because obviously, I needed a sort of light in the cockpit by night time to see what I'm doing so I've blamed the lights...
But I've did the following experiment : at night, all lights on ( landing, taxi, glareshield, gauges ) I get around 25 fps, at night with landing, taxi and gauges I get around 30, at night without any light on I get 32 fps, and during day time without any light on : 52 fps...

So I guess, at least for me, there is something wrong with the PBR, I've never found a difference with others aircrafts at flying at night, including those with PBR, here, with the c172, it cost me right away 20 fps, and if I turn the glareshield on, it's 5 fps more...it's huge, almost half of what I usually have, just by passing from day to night. I've made those test on a scenery that is light on fps, usually, I'm mostly around 30 + fps, so if I add weather and densely populated area, it makes the c 172 completely impossible to fly at night for me.

Hope this can be improve, thanks again for listening and your work!

Best!
Hello Manu F-JOHI - if you feel there's still a disproportionate FPS affect on your system please can you repost this info in a new thread and give us a bit more info on your GPU, antialiasing settings and screen resolution. I'm afraid it's becoming rather tricky to keep track of everything and respond to multiple posters in this one. :)

Gabe777 wrote: 22 Dec 2019, 15:29 But I must reiterate, that it isn't just hitting those using SSAA... I am using just 4xMSAA with SGSS in nVidia inspector. But I'm guessing it may have a similar effect.

Just giving the coders as much info as possible, in case it it helps down the road.

FYi.... I have found that SGSS has an equally good Anti-Aliasing effect as SSAA in-sim, but is much kinder to FPS when using heavy 3D clouds with Active Sky.

Regards, Happy Holidays, and thanks for such a rapid response to our moaning !
Thanks Gabe and happy holidays to you too.

Yeah, bear in mind that SGSS is just a type of SSAA - both are supersampling methods of antialiasing. So if you're using SGSS for transparencies in conjunction with MSAA, you'll see a performance impact from dynamic lighting, much as if you have SSAA enabled in the P3D graphics settings. Unfortunately there are still quite a few compromises to be made between running P3Dv4 smoothly and having the best visuals.

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Eric and Tym - thanks for the kind words and Happy Christmas chaps. :D

P.P.S. I nearly forgot to mention: the update had an update, so if you were an early downloader please run the updater tool again. More info here.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Will other aircraft like the Comanche, 182 and Bonanza, be receiving the dtnamic lighting and PBR enhancements ?
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

As has been noted under SSAA my fps was getting hammered but switching to MSAA x 8 and the whole thing runs well and looks awesome! For me at night the SSAA is less important.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Good point about night flying.

I have found the following with SSAA or SGSS:

1. Glareshield (GS) at zero = 50% GPU useage.
2. GS set to one notch only = 70 % useage.
3. GS set to 2 notches or high = 90 percent useage.

None of the other lights make any difference.

For me, one notch is enough.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”