About C172 Elevator Trim Behavior

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
twlai
Airman Basic

About C172 Elevator Trim Behavior

Post by twlai »

I have Prepar3D v4 and A2A's C172. The A2A updater has been run and it's been confirmed that it's already the latest.

My problem is that when I trim C172 to the take-off position, it flies off from the runway at about 40 KIAS.
And then it will quickly roll left and stall very soon, as if the plane is trimmed too nose high.

I remember that the A2A's C172 did not behave like this on the first day.
In the past, when I trimmed to the take-off position, if I rotate gently at 55 KIAS, it would leave runway at about 70 KIAS.
Then, if I maintain/add some right rudder, the plane can fly straight and climb steadily.

I know I must have did something bad to it and now it's behaving strangely. But I'm not sure what I did to make this behavior happens. So my question is:

1. What the heck is going on?
2. Can I reset all plane "status/settings" to its original behavior (so that it will behave as if I have just installed A2A's C172)?

Thank you.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: About C172 Elevator Trim Behavior

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

The speed that the 172 will lift off the runway with default "take-off" trim will depend to some extent on the weight and balance of the aircraft. The flap setting will obviously make quite a difference too.

However, the effect you describe may also be the result of fitting the optional, higher-revving 76" 60° "S equivalent" prop in the maintenance hangar. In this case, a touch more nose down trim prior to take-off should help to alleviate the forward yoke pressure needed on climb out.

However, if you do wish to completely reset the aircraft to it's original condition, you can use the "RESET" button in the Shift 3 menu, or manually delete the .dat files in "Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172" if you prefer.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

twlai
Airman Basic

Post by twlai »

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your help.

Actually, I am still not sure what was going on. Resetting to the factory prop did not help very much.
Therefore, I deleted the .dat files in the "Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172" folder instead. It now works like a charm.

Thanks,
TW

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome TW - thanks for the update.

I guess it's possible that there was an issue with the elevator trim mechanism in the maintenance hangar. Anyway, glad to hear the issue is resolved for you.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”