Engine persistence

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Simicro
Senior Airman

Engine persistence

Post by Simicro »

Hi,

After an absence, I'm flying again the excellent C172.

Question #1

The tachometer says 52 total hours.

Since the beginning, if a component of the aircraft is damaged or needs repair, I've always done "Complete Overhaul".

Now on the ground, brakes on, mixture full rich, if I set full power (either with my joystick or moving the throttle lever in the VC) at KVPS (default P3D airport) the RPM reach a maximum of 2 100. Is that normal?

However, once in flight, say at 1 500 ft, still with full power, RPM increases to max 2 500.

Question #2

I believe engine persistence is simulated? That is, even if the engine receives regular maintenance/overhaul, as time goes the engine performance degrades?

Question #3

I've searched in the manual with 'reset engine', 'reset tachometer' but no joy: I couldn't find how to reset the engine hour to zero.

As I said, I always do 'Complete overhaul'.
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Engine persistence

Post by Nick - A2A »

Simicro wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 06:23 Question #1

The tachometer says 52 total hours.

Since the beginning, if a component of the aircraft is damaged or needs repair, I've always done "Complete Overhaul".

Now on the ground, brakes on, mixture full rich, if I set full power (either with my joystick or moving the throttle lever in the VC) at KVPS (default P3D airport) the RPM reach a maximum of 2 100. Is that normal?

However, once in flight, say at 1 500 ft, still with full power, RPM increases to max 2 500.
The 172 has a fixed pitch propeller, so the prop always turns at the same speed relative to that of the engine, which is controlled by the throttle. However, the prop (and therefore engine) speed is also influenced by the airflow over the prop, so RPM will increase with increasing airspeed.

Simicro wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 06:23 Question #2

I believe engine persistence is simulated? That is, even if the engine receives regular maintenance/overhaul, as time goes the engine performance degrades?
'Complete overhaul' should restore engine performance to 'like new' but otherwise, performance will gradually diminish as the engine ages.

Simicro wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 06:23 Question #3

I've searched in the manual with 'reset engine', 'reset tachometer' but no joy: I couldn't find how to reset the engine hour to zero.

As I said, I always do 'Complete overhaul'.
You can use the 'RESET' option in the Shift 3 menu to reset engine and airframe hours. I believe 'complete overhaul' also used to reset the engine hours, but it seems that function was removed at some stage. Will look into this.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Thank you Nick for your kind support. Youd did answer to all my questions.

Indeed the Reset button is in the SHIFT+3 menu. I have mislooked it.

P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem! As mentioned, we'll look into why the 'complete overhaul' action isn't zeroing the engine hours any more.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”