Sound source question and request

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
joepoway
Airman First Class

Sound source question and request

Post by joepoway »

I fly between VR using an Oculus Rift S and my 4K monitor with built in speakers. Frequently I switch between the two sources and have a method using VoiceAttack to quickly switch the audio out, the mic input, and the MS speech profile with the use of a voice command or assigned button push. The process works flawlessly for all aircraft including add-ons in P3Dv4.5 except for A2A aircraft. Since you guys added the sound options menu the exterior sounds switch fine but the interior sounds will not switch unless I deselect the A2A aircraft and re-select the aircraft which is obviously not practical in a flight sequence.

My question; is there a way to disable the sound menu option which I never use and cannot in my method of flying even if it meant editing a configuration file which I already do for VR views and options menu placements as well as other things. Or perhaps I'm missing something that would switch the internal cockpit sounds when I change the default audio source.

Please advise and thanks in advance
Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sound source question and request

Post by some1 - A2A »

Sorry, on-the-fly change of audio device is not supported ATM, aicraft reload is required.
Michael Krawczyk

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Thanks for the quick response.

I assume it's not supported and will not be looked into as an option based on your reply?

That's very unfortunate and you are the only add-on aircraft in existence that I know of that doesn't support this.
This makes VR flying the way most everyone uses it completely impractical from a interior sounds point of view.
If there is no intention to address this I will explore ways to find code modifications but probably will not be successful without help.

I am a strong supporter of A2A aircraft and they are the only GA I fly but this lack of capability is not good at all and I hope there could be a solution
implemented to support this in the future as ALL other aircraft do including the most complicated PMDG stuff.

Sincerely
Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Joe,

as a heavy VR user myself, I actually know very few programs that will automatically change audio device without a program restart or having to come out of VR, manually set the settings and then go back in.

However I must also ask, why are you changing audio devices between VR and non VR. The beauty of VR in P3D specifically is its seamless switch without having to change any settings. Unless you are trying to use the low quality tinny speakers of the Rift VR set, which most don't do because of the lack of quality, and so we just stick to headsets or more commonly the desktop speakers that don't need changing between VR and non VR.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Hi Lewis

There are several reasons I tend to switch back and forth. One is I do a lot of demos for the San Diego Flightsim Club I am a member of.
However primary when I set up long flight plans with P2A and my GA aircraft with GTN 750 or my Aerosoft A320 or PMDG 737 it is easier to do so in 2D mode and then switch into VR for Pre-taxi,taxi and take off. Depending on the length of my flight I may switch back into 2D mode until the pre-decent mode or when vectoring begins and then back into VR for the rest of the flight.

Additionally I use VoiceAttack very extensively and the voice recognition with either my Sony stand mic or the built in Rift S mic works flawlessly when there is no Aircraft noise coming from my external speakers and the sound emmersion is just in my headset and the mic just hears my voice. VoiceAttack has built in functions where I can switch the MS default mic and audio output devices as well as the MS trained speech profiles I have trained for the two mics. VA automatically resets the mic input and all works great. I actually assign the VA profile to a Throttle button for quick switching.

In terms of add ons and aircraft everything I use; ALL my other add-on aircraft, ALL P3D default aircraft, GSX ground equiptment, ATC and Voiceattack which I also have profiles to enable interactive checklists for all aspects of all my aircraft works flawlessly. Only the Interior sounds of A2A aircraft since you guys changed your sound configuration methods does not work, as you know your exterior sounds work as all others do. The only add-on that doesn't work for me yet is the PTT mic function of Pilot2ATC it does require a reset by disconnecting and reconnecting but Dave the developer is going to provide a method to trigger it without having to disconnect in an upcoming rev just like VA does.

I hope I have explained myself well enough and the way I extensively use VoiceAttack to perform things until we have VR hands without the controls.

BTW there is also no sound issues when I switch back and forth on anything in AeroFly or Xplane 11 aircraft, DCS switching is a very different method and not applicable to this conversation. Only A2A Interior sounds in P3D requires a manual restart because you guys manage sound differently. I'm just asking how difficult it would be to enable the reset without having to restart. Quick frankly I'm not sure what the benefit of the sound selection drop down menu for A2A aircraft is and I have never used it and didn't even know it existed until I tried to remedy my interior sound issue.

Thanks for the dialog and I do love my 4 P3D A2A aircraft and can't wait for the other A2A aircraft I had for previous versions, the Cub and B-17 to be made available hopefully with a sound option :) !

Sincerely
Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Lewis

I read in another forum post that deleting the audio.dat file would remedy my issue however I tried that by moving it out of the folder and it made no difference. I assume there is no file edit I can make to disable the sound menu and have the audio output track the default assigned Windows audio output device for the cockpit so it will work the same way the external view sounds work on my A2A aircraft?

Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello

not that I am aware off. However thinking about it, the audio deletion might work if in progress but I cannot confirm that to be true. The issue is the sound engine is set to use a sound device and than like many programs run. In order to change the device you have to restart the software similar to most games and programs on windows when changing devices a restart is required to re-initialise the software with the new parameters.

Ironically the feature to change sound devices rather than use only default was actually added due to popular demand for those running more complex sound systems in order for them to set up multiple sound devices correctly.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Hi Lewis

Yes it is ironic.
I will play with the audio file a bit more but it doesn't look promising.

One last question is there any way to get the cockpit sound to behalf as the external sound does since it switches fine?
Obviously the two sound outputs are managed differently now and I would be willing to make file mods if necessary.
As an example I do this regularly for all the popup windows in all my A2A aircraft and GTN 750 etc.. to establish VR custom sizes and three dimensional positions within my cockpits.
The beauty is I can have separate popup sizes and positions for 2D and VR seamlessly as I transition within a session or between sessions of flying and I'm looking for the same with this cockpit sound issue.

Thanks in advance
Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Unfortunately not, the internal sounds are running through our custom sound engine hence the difference compared to the more stock external sound engine.

thanks,
Lewis

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Thanks Lewis I understand.

Not sure if it could be a future feature to include in a rev or not but please keep it on the books as I know of 4 other VR fliers that are faced with the same issue I am.

Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”