Refuses to budge

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
airernie
Airman

Refuses to budge

Post by airernie »

FSX SP2, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Starting Cold & Dark, Damage OFF. 100% Fuel, Parking brake off.

Several years ago I uninstalled the C172 Trainer due to frustrations with getting it to work correctly.

A couple of days ago I gave it another go and reinstalled it. As part of the install I ran the A2A update program and the aircraft absolutely, positively refuses to budge when I move the throttle. Even to the point of full throttle. It's like it is glued to the ramp.

Brakes are off and I tried re-installing the aircraft and and seeing if not updating it would help the situation. Still refuses to budge.

I also added the LUA Dynamic Friction file to FSUIPC, with no results.

It's just so incredibly frustrating because I know it works for others and none of the other payware aircraft I have has this issue.

I'm willing to attempt an installation again, but hopefully with some troubleshooting tips.

Thanks..

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Refuses to budge

Post by Jacques »

Hi Airernie, its always the first question but, are loading into FSX with an FSX default aircraft first, or loading directly into the A2A 172?

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Are you using rudder pedals? If so, will the plane roll when you FULLY push on both brakes? If so you need to set FSUIPC correctly and “reverse” the controls.

If you’re using rudder pedals, have you calibrated them in Windows AND in FSUIPC? And, how does FSUIPC respond to the brakes?

Can you visually see the parking brake and make sure it’s not engaged? Can you see if the brakes are pushed in on the aircrafts brakes?

Does the banner pop up that says “brakes” or “dynamic brakes” and if so, is it always displayed?

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, as Jacques mentions airernie, please can you just confirm which aircraft currently loads as part of the default flight in FSX.

For troubleshooting an issue like this, I'd also strongly recommend that you use a default airport scenery. Add-on airfields with sloped unpaved runways can sometime lead to issues.

As for the brakes, if you like, give the little application below a try (it should be pretty self-explanatory - just click the "connect to FSX" button when the sim is running) and let us know what percentage figures it reports when you release the toe and parking brakes.

Download: Brakes Test.exe

Thanks,
Nick

airernie
Airman

Post by airernie »

Thanks everyone for your input.

I use a 'FSX startup for complex aircraft' saved flight by Flght1 which uses the default Cessna 172 for most of my aircraft, included the C172. It's a cold & dark startup, with everything off. I also 'attempt' to run the 172 with damage OFF, so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Out of frustration I had deleted the aircraft once again, so had to reinstall to test some of the solutions. After the initial install with my, probably somewhat outdated 'C172_FSX_v.2.0.EXE' filed I fired the aircraft up and immediately issues with the VAC annunciator being lit and the fuel gauge reading zero despite FSX saying I had full tanks. After reloading the fuel and clicking on Cold & Dark again in the panel I was able to start the aircraft. Once again, no luck with movement.

Following that I ran the 02_04_19 A2A update. The above issues partially of went away, but he aircraft appears to start in any mode it wants, regardless of the loaded flight files. Anyway, once I got the aircraft started I was able to move it. Until I applied the toe brakes, then it refused to move again. FSX controls are disabled and I use FSUIPC for all controls. The controls appeared to be operating correctly when I tested them in FSUIPC, even after that aircraft refused to move.

For the third attempt, I loaded the start up flight again, switched from the default Cessna and found the A2A craft engine running, which is probably the state I left it in. In other words, it appears to be ignoring the starting flight. Once I reset everything, the issue with the vacuum pump resurfaced and I had difficulty starting the aircraft.

I was able to get it off the ground on one of my attempts, but can't seem to duplicate whatever I did.

Gotta say, I haven't flown real world in about 20 years, but when I did I don't remember the 172 being this difficult an aircraft to deal with. It is certainly the most finicky and frustrating aircraft I have in my hanger or bone yard.

For now, please hold off any additional recommendations until I make a few more attempts. I will only end up frustrating everyone..

Once again. thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the added info airernie.

As requested, I won't add any further troubleshooting suggestions at this stage, but please let us know if you require further assistance.

Also, I can confirm the C172 has its own persistent behaviour, so whether the engine is running for example, will depend on how you left the plane, rather than the conditions of the default flight. Also, please bear in mind that the aircraft has its own fuel and payload manager accessible via the Shift 4 key combo; this should be used instead of the default FSX fuel menu.

I suspect the issue may have something to do with the brakes setup in FSUIPC, so that brakes test application I posted a link to above may be handy.

Thanks,
Nick

airernie
Airman

Post by airernie »

Thank you Nick,

I guess I need to re-read the documentation. I wasn't aware of the fuel behavior.

Sooner than expected I'm back to add to the narrative.

In the aircraft again this morning. I ended cold & dark yesterday, so found it in that condition today. Used the dialog to set the fuel and passenger.

Aircraft started okay, but still have persistent issue with 'L VAC R' annunciatior being lit. Couldn't find an issue with static port, or circuit breakers. Other gauges appeared okay. Also, no indications in the FSX failures settings.

Brake test 100 accross board with parking brake on. With parking brake off it registered 0, but toe brakes hitting 23 when applied, 0 when not applied.

Aircraft refused to budge from parking spot.

I ran the same test on default Cessna and got 100 on toe brakes. They appear okay in FSUIPC, so not sure why the lower reading.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, the last few pages of the manual cover the 2-D panels and their features airernie, so it's worth checking this bit out.

As regards the issue with the 'stuck' 172, please can you try deleting the contents of the following folder:

Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172

This will 'reset' your aircraft to its original state, so if the *.dat files which record the state of the aircraft have become corrupted, this may resolve the issue.

If it doesn't, please can you confirm if the engine indications are normal during run up. For example, does the RPM stabilise well within the green band?

Thanks,
Nick

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I've had "stuck aircraft" with both the 172 and the Cherokee, but I've always been able to get them moving again.

The problem in most cases has apparently been the aircraft that was loaded as the default flight. Another time the aircraft wouldn't move after hitting a wing on the hangar even though no damage was reported in the maintenance hangar. The last time was with the Cherokee parked on grass (no parking spots at that airport, it was just a runway) and I had just loaded it with 4 passengers, but not overloaded according to the A2A loading screen. I solved that one by using the sim options to move the aircraft to the active runway.

I have since turned collision detection off. All airports are stock.

I'm not looking for a solution, just throwing out some observations in case they might be useful.

Hook

airernie
Airman

Post by airernie »

Nick - A2A wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 11:44 As regards the issue with the 'stuck' 172, please can you try deleting the contents of the following folder:

Documents\A2A\FSX\Cessna172

This will 'reset' your aircraft to its original state, so if the *.dat files which record the state of the aircraft have become corrupted, this may resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick,

That was the fix! No annunciator lights, radios work great, toe brakes register 78/79 when depressed. Aircraft is unstuck..

I would offer to buy you a beer, but you know how it is. Tie down fees are killing me. :-)

Thank you very much.
Ernie

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Ernie,

You're very welcome and thanks for the update. Sounds like the *.dat file may indeed have become corrupted. Anyway, hope you're able to enjoy the 172 from now on.

Best regards,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”