Airframe and Engine Time

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
KB5HAV_BG
Airman Basic

Airframe and Engine Time

Post by KB5HAV_BG »

I've looked and cannot find an answer, so, I'm hoping someone can help. I'd like to simulate a plane with a given airframe and engine time. For example, if in the real world I purchased a used 172 with an airframe time of 9302 hrs and engine time of 1391, I'd like to simulate a plane with these exact figures. Is there a file or something I can edit to indicate these figures? I know I can select shift-3 and shift-7 to bring up the controls and maintenance hanger respectively. Then, I can hit the "Used" button in the control panel and watch the times change in the maintenance hanger. I can keep doing so until hopefully finding something close to the times I'd like. Can I do this manually somewhere else? Or am I out of luck on this one? Thanks in advance.

Bobby
KMBO

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Airframe and Engine Time

Post by Jacques »

Hey Bobby, I’ve never heard of anyone accomplishing this, not to say it hasn’t happened. I assume you would need to understand and be able to access the coding behind the aircraft. I doubt A2A would be willing to divulge that as it is proprietary. And, you’ve already arrived at the next best solution😀.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I'm not sure that it really matters.

I've flown 172s as high as 14000 hours and others around 2000 hours.

The 14000 airframe was treated with love, maintenance was not deferred and the airplane flown regularly and flew true and had few I. The 2000 hour airframe on the other hand was getting beat up and had deferred maintenance, had sloppy steering and generally was not so nice to fly.

I don't think time is really a good indicator of condition. You need to simulate how the airplane was treated over all that period of time.

I've had far more engine issues on low time engines with 100 hours, in fact 3 out of 4 issues I've experienced are with engines only 400 hours or of the factory.

One of the smoothest engines I fly regularlly right now has 17,000 hours on the core and 600 hours since overhaul.

A2A does not simulate a lot of the things that owners have to pay to maintain as airplanes age.

Cowling fasteners
Engine baffling
Smoking rivets
Cowling fasteners
Stop drilling of cracks
Wearing door hinges
Cables getting stretched and out of rig
Dead bulbs
Cracked plastic trim
Crazed windshields
Cracked fairings
Cracked exhaust or heater shrouds
Sticking and burned valves
Timing adjustments and magneto rebuilds
Worn tires
Rubber door seals wearing out
AD compliance
and the list goes on...

Again I think the hours are all relative. There is no guarantee that a plane at x hours will generally have x issues, not should it. I say just fly what you get and see what surprises are in store! :wink:
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

KB5HAV_BG
Airman Basic

Post by KB5HAV_BG »

Hi Guys,

And thanks for the replies and comments. It was worth a shot. Sure would be neat to accomplish this but I do understand. I really do love the A2A products. I have the 172 and 182 at the moment. Looking to add the V-tail Bonanza or perhaps the Comanche next.

Kind Regards,
Bobby

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”