Airspeed indication to 0 midflight

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
tswigg
Airman Basic

Airspeed indication to 0 midflight

Post by tswigg »

Afternoon everyone,

Had a weird issue today, just got the 172 right after updating to P3D 4.4 today, the updater was automatically run after install and all went peachy. Fuel gauges were inop and that threw me for a loop but figured out a breaker was popped, so being prudent I made sure they were all in. I’m going from Socal to Utah and just about passing vegas my airspeed drops to 0. I’m still putting along no problem so i turn on the pitot heat, no joy, check all breakers again and decide to land. Get on the ground, run the preflight items that would be part of the pitot/static system and start back up and do a high speed taxi. Nada. Not really sure what could be the issue. No i didnt leave the cover on, even checked the shift3 menu to be sure what i was seeing was correct to. If it matters at all I’m running ASN and have a 650/750 avionics suite installed too. Thanks!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Airspeed indication to 0 midflight

Post by Paughco »

I don't know about the 172, but I know that in the Spitfire, once pitot tube icing "kills" the airspeed, the pitot heat won't bring it back. Did you try completely restarting the sim (on a P3D default aircraft) then loading the 172 and seeing if your ASI works?

Seeya
ATB

tswigg
Airman Basic

Post by tswigg »

Did not, left the pitot heat on all the way thru descent, while taxing in and back out. But i wasnt in conditions that should cause any icing. Was +1 OAT at cruise and on the ground +11. Not exactly warm but neither case should cause icing. And wouldnt an iced tube lock your airspeed, not drop it to 0?

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

It's some sort of miscommunication between A2A/P3D/ASN, it's a known issue. If ASN implements probe icing then the sim probe heat can't clear it. The easy solution is to be proactive in the sim with pitot heat as it keeps ASN from freezing the probe.
tswigg wrote:And wouldnt an iced tube lock your airspeed, not drop it to 0?
It depends on the extent of icing and where it forms. Pitot tubes have a water drain. It the ram opening freezes but the water drain clears then excess pressure will escape through the drain, causing airspeed to drop to 0. Seems the most frequent failure scenario in the sim

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”