Input Confirurator and elevator trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Simicro
Senior Airman

Input Confirurator and elevator trim

Post by Simicro »

Hi,

I read a tip in thread: assign elevator trim to the joystick through the Input Confirurator, for a quicker/smoother/more realistic experience.

When I go to the Input Confirurator, it seems that it is only possible to assign the elevator trim to an axis or a slider.

Is it possible to assign to joystick buttons?
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Input Confirurator and elevator trim

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Simicro,

Yes, sure. The relevant functions are called "yoke trim up" and "yoke trim down" if I recall correctly.

Thanks,
Nick

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Hi Nick,

Thanks.

I looked at the wrong place (upper part of the application windows).

I now have assigned buttons to "yoke trim up" and "yoke trim down".

However it does not work: the trim of the A2A C172 does not move in P3Dv4 when I press my joystick buttons. Please not that I cleared my elevator trim up and down assigments in FSUIPC5.

Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Btw what is exactly the advantage of using the Input Configurator for assigning elevator trim to joystick buttons/sliders/axis instead of using P3D or FSUIPC?

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Simicro wrote:Btw what is exactly the advantage of using the Input Configurator for assigning elevator trim to joystick buttons/sliders/axis instead of using P3D or FSUIPC?
Trim moves at the same rate as the real aircraft if you were pressing the elevator trim buttons on the yoke. I think there's also a sound of the electric motor working as well.

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

flapman wrote:
Simicro wrote:Btw what is exactly the advantage of using the Input Configurator for assigning elevator trim to joystick buttons/sliders/axis instead of using P3D or FSUIPC?
Trim moves at the same rate as the real aircraft if you were pressing the elevator trim buttons on the yoke. I think there's also a sound of the electric motor working as well.
Many thanks flapman for jumping into this thread.

I hope the trim will move faster/smoother than in P3D or FSUIPC.

I just still need to have it working through the Input Configurator. The Input Configurator says "yoke trim up" and "yoke trim down".

I have a MS FF2 joystick, so it is not a yoke. Maybe that is why I cannot get the trim working?

Also, I don't have FS Force (yet) but if the Input Configurator is not working for me I might consider it.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Simicro,

For any Input Configurator assignments to work, your controllers need to be enabled in the host sim. I know that some FSUIPC users tend to untick the "enable controller(s)" option, so wondering if this is the case with you?

For what it's worth, FSUIPC does allow complete control over the elevator trim function using offsets. There's more info on this method here.

Anyway, as flapman mentions, the trim rate you'll get using the Input Configurator shortcuts should be a very close match to the manual electric trim rate in the real aircraft.

Thanks,
Nick

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Nick,

Many thanks for transferring my thread into Tech Support. Much appreciated.

Regarding "enable controller(s)", you have good thinking.

The story is that I have "enable controller(s)" ticked in P3D where my axis are assigned. I use FSUIPC only for buttons assignment.

Now my bad because the Input Configurator DID work but I did not realize it. When I tried to trim, the aicraft was cold and dark. I forgot to set the battery on. Now I did and the trim works. It even looks fast and fluid, electrical.

I need to try it in flight but that's another story.

One last question please: are you aware of any conflict between the Input Configurator (in my case for elevator trim) and the FS Force utility? I'd like to use both.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Simicro - good to hear the Input Configurator trim question is answered. As regards FS Force, I'm afraid I've never used any force-feedback hardware so I'm not well qualified to answer. However, it may be worth checking out this topic and even perhaps dropping 'dvm' a PM.

Cheers,
Nick

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Thanks for your time and help Nick.

Case closed for me.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”