C172 engine start/stop using FSUIPC

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mikeat
Airman Basic

C172 engine start/stop using FSUIPC

Post by mikeat »

I’m using FSUIPC4 to program all of the controls / button / switches. All are fine, but the Engine start and Engine off.

I’m using the Desk Top Aviator Cessna Panel, (key start, magnetos, off & start) but nothing seems to work correctly. I cannot seem to
find the correct FSUIPC setting. I’ve tried the “Auto Engine Start” and "Auto Engine Shutdown" but that’s doesn’t seem to work correctly as the proper procedure for the A2A Cessna is intended.

Can you possibly tell me what would
work properly with this?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: C172 engine start/stop using FSUIPC

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome to the forums,

If you'd like to program your hardware to operate the magnetos, battery master switch and fuel pump etc. using FSUIPC, you should find the list of custom L:Vars here helpful.

Thanks,
Nick

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

I am also using the Desktop Aviator Cessna panel and I use FSUIPC (registered) to do exactly what your wanting to do. And it works perfectly, with one exception that I have not received an answer to and may be inherent to A2A aircraft.

In FSUIPC "Buttons + Switches" tab, on right hand side, for each switch position use

"Magneto Off"
"Magneto Right"
"Magneto Left"
"Magneto Both"
"Magneto Start"

The issue is that when you go to "start", the starter keeps running until the engine starts regardless of what you do with the switch. If you have an issue with the engine starting, and you switch the real key back to "OFF", the animated key only goes back to "Right" and no farther and the starter keeps spinning. You must use the mouse to click on "OFF" (animated key switch) for the engine to stop spinning. I am still seeking on how to get the animated key switch to return to "OFF" and stop the starter. Under all other conditions, the key goes to "OFF" as expected.

Let "us" know if you need further help.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

mikeat
Airman Basic

Post by mikeat »

WOW, thank you for the info. My issue is now correct and the C172 is running and operating correctly. I really appreciate the replies and the results.

I really hope I can do the same to others as you've done to me...

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

One of the things I’ve also discovered about the switch panel is the Master “Alt” and “Bat” need to be switched on/off independently (and in the right sequence) or they get out of sync with the A2A aircraft. In the real Cessna I would flip them on or off together, but you can’t do that with the panel in the sim. (Although you can simulate them switching together with your mouse)

Perhaps one day I’ll figure a way to do it with the switch panel, but then again, that robs me of valuable flight time :mrgreen:

The Cherokee has only one master batt switch, no alt switch. Also, no “start” on the keyswitch but rather a start button. I strapped my “start” (key switch) position on the panel to the “start” push button. It all works properly!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

In FSUIPC "Buttons + Switches" tab, on right hand side, for each switch position I use
the FS control for
"Magneto Off"
"Magneto Right"
"Magneto Left"
"Magneto Both"
"Magneto Start"
On Magneto Start release I use the LVAR Macro L:Eng1_StarterSwitch=SET and set the value to 0
Works perfectly!

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thank you!

How do you plug in that variable into FSUIPC?

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

Long explanation here: viewtopic.php?t=19751

vangyver
Senior Airman

Post by vangyver »

A registered copy of FSUIPC is required. Short explanation for A2A Piper Cherokee:
Open windows notepad. Type exactly:

[MACROS]
1=L:Eng1_StarterSwitch=SET

Name the file 1test for this example. Save the file to your desktop. It will be named 1test.txt
I put a '1' at the start of the name so that it appears at the beginning of the controls list in FSUIPC
Now we need to change the name to 1test.MCRO
Copy this 1test.mcro to the module folder
Reload all buttons or keys within FSUIPC to recognize the new macro file.

Select a value of 0 in FSUIPC

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

vangyver! Thank you for the instructions! I had to tinker with it just a tad, but got it working just fine!

If anyone is following along, the below is for their benefit.

I'm running P3Dv4 and 5, using FSUIPC6. There is no "modules" folder in P3Dv4 or 5, (in my case) my FSUIPC files are in the appropriate "Add-On's" directory. I also use Notepad++ (EXCELLENT program for what "we" do!) and simply created the XXX.MCRO file.

Under "Buttons & Switches" select "Profile Specific" (if you are using that feature), and then "Select for FS Control". Then in "Control to be sent when button is pressed", find your new macro, parameter of 1. In "control to be sent when button is released", same macro with a parameter of "0"

THAKS AGAIN!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”