DME not working in FREQ and GS/T modes

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mike2060
Airman

DME not working in FREQ and GS/T modes

Post by mike2060 »

I have been having no problems with the DME in RMT mode after the 1.6 update but the FREQ and GS/T modes are not working. This makes it impossible to do some instrument approaches correctly as you need the ILS on Nav1 for the autopilot and then you need the DME tuned to a VOR with a DME. I will keep monitoring them but in the flight I just did they did not work.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: DME not working in FREQ and GS/T modes

Post by lonewulf47 »

I just did a test on my homebase LSZH. you see the ILS 16 (110.50) tuned on NAV 1 and the local VOR KLO tuned remotely on the DME (114.85). The indication is exactly as it should.

Are you sure that the VOR you tuned for DME reference does exist in the relevant FSX NAV.BGL? The main problem is usually that a VOR/DME might have undergone a frequency change in the past. Don't forget that the FSX database is in 2006 state. You can only tune Navaids that are contained in the default FSX database. You might consider updating the default FSX NAV database by this: http://aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

My five cents though :lol:
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

lonewulf47 wrote:I just did a test on my homebase LSZH. you see the ILS 16 (110.50) tuned on NAV 1 and the local VOR KLO tuned remotely on the DME (114.85). The indication is exactly as it should.

Are you sure that the VOR you tuned for DME reference does exist in the relevant FSX NAV.BGL? The main problem is usually that a VOR/DME might have undergone a frequency change in the past. Don't forget that the FSX database is in 2006 state. You can only tune Navaids that are contained in the default FSX database. You might consider updating the default FSX NAV database by this: http://aero.sors.fr/navaids.html

My five cents though :lol:
Yes I am sure that I was tuned to a navaid that has DME considering it was working on the first DME setting. Did you ever have problems with the DME before 1.6? Because if you didn't then you might never have problems with the DME. The DME used to never work and now it does on the first setting but not on the others.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Mike,
To be honest, so far I didn't have any problems like you mentioned. Could you please indicate the stations concerned (location, ILS FREQ, VOR/DME FREQ) so I could give it a try and see whether my system is behaving differently?
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

lonewulf47 wrote:Mike,
To be honest, so far I didn't have any problems like you mentioned. Could you please indicate the stations concerned (location, ILS FREQ, VOR/DME FREQ) so I could give it a try and see whether my system is behaving differently?

CYHZ 115.1 CYYG 113.8 are two that I know didn't work for me. The DME in it's first mode works for me now which it wasn't before so A2A must have done something to partly fix it. But like I said, if you are doing an ILS that has a separate DME you are short of luck with the freq mode not working.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

mike2060 wrote:CYHZ 115.1 CYYG 113.8 are two that I know didn't work for me. The DME in it's first mode works for me now which it wasn't before so A2A must have done something to partly fix it. But like I said, if you are doing an ILS that has a separate DME you are short of luck with the freq mode not working.
Mike,

AFAIK there has been no change in the DME code with Core Update 1.6. I have just tried your mentioned combo on an airfield that I have used many, many times during my work as IFR instructor and I have foundd it working flawlessly. The airfield is EDNY Friedrichshafen with an ILS to each RWY 06 and 24, QFU 058° and 238° respectively, ILS FREQ 111.50 on both ILS. The DME is standalone on FREQ 112.60. Could you do me a favour and try whether this works for you too?

Thanks!
Oskar

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

lonewulf47 wrote:
mike2060 wrote:CYHZ 115.1 CYYG 113.8 are two that I know didn't work for me. The DME in it's first mode works for me now which it wasn't before so A2A must have done something to partly fix it. But like I said, if you are doing an ILS that has a separate DME you are short of luck with the freq mode not working.
Mike,

AFAIK there has been no change in the DME code with Core Update 1.6. I have just tried your mentioned combo on an airfield that I have used many, many times during my work as IFR instructor and I have foundd it working flawlessly. The airfield is EDNY Friedrichshafen with an ILS to each RWY 06 and 24, QFU 058° and 238° respectively, ILS FREQ 111.50 on both ILS. The DME is standalone on FREQ 112.60. Could you do me a favour and try whether this works for you too?

Thanks!
My DME stopped working and only started working again when I updated to 1.6 so they must have done something unless it will just stop working again. I will try out that airport and get back to you.

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

So I went to EDNY and it worked fine. So I checked out two VORs that weren't working before and now they work fine. I will keep an eye on it but they were not working before and now magically they are.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

mike2060 wrote:So I went to EDNY and it worked fine. So I checked out two VORs that weren't working before and now they work fine. I will keep an eye on it but they were not working before and now magically they are.
Ok, glad to hear that we have at least the same results. Thanks for testing, Mike. We will be keeping an eye on the subject as well as this DME setup in the C172 is very unique and we still need to learn a few things about handling DMEs within the whole navigation complex.
Oskar

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

lonewulf47 wrote:
mike2060 wrote:So I went to EDNY and it worked fine. So I checked out two VORs that weren't working before and now they work fine. I will keep an eye on it but they were not working before and now magically they are.
Ok, glad to hear that we have at least the same results. Thanks for testing, Mike. We will be keeping an eye on the subject as well as this DME setup in the C172 is very unique and we still need to learn a few things about handling DMEs within the whole navigation complex.
Well I flew today and the DME was showing up on the first mode but when I switched to FREQ it wasn't working so something is definitely amiss. I even started with the default C172 then switched to the A2A once I got into the sim but that did not help.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

mike2060 wrote:Well I flew today and the DME was showing up on the first mode but when I switched to FREQ it wasn't working so something is definitely amiss. I even started with the default C172 then switched to the A2A once I got into the sim but that did not help.
Yes, I presume that this is one flaw that we have to work on, however it is not an easy task to overcome. If you tune a DME which is co-located to an ILS (actually there is no reason to do so, as the normal remote mode provides the required information) the present DME setup obviously is unable to receive this ILS-DME as a "standalone" DME. I must however leave this to our devs as to if and how this problem will be solved. Whenever there is a solution it will certainly be published.
Oskar

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”