Lots of Blue Smoke

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
GAJ52
Airman

Lots of Blue Smoke

Post by GAJ52 »

Hi I have just done a short flight, and during the flight I went to external view and noticed lots of blue smoke coming from the exhaust leaving a smoke trail behind the aircraft. All instrument readings were normal, but I diverted to the nearest airfield and after shutdown went into the hangar. The mechanic reported "aircraft like new" ?? Oil contents were fine

Any idea what happened ?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Lots of Blue Smoke

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what was your altitude and also did you perform a pre-flight check? Sounds like oil issue if it was blue smoke.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Just a shot in the dark: You might also check whether by coincidence the "Automixture" has been enabled. This box should definitely be unchecked.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

GAJ52
Airman

Post by GAJ52 »

Just checked the auto mixture and its definitely unchecked.

I was flying at 4000 ft with the mixture leaned slightly, the oil pressure was fine, the smoke definitely looked blue..ish indicating an oil problem. On the ground I checked the oil contents which were ok, I also did a compression test just in case I damaged a piston ring or something, everything was ok with the mechanic telling me the aircraft was "like new".

It certainly seems to be simulating an oil problem but nothing is showing up in the hangar ?

No, I didn't perform a pre-flight, I'll try it again with a pre-flight and report back.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Check the oil condition in the aircraft. If its getting old it might be time to change it.

thanks,
Lewis

GAJ52
Airman

Post by GAJ52 »

Without fixing anything I have just done another short flight, this time doing a pre-flight first. Not sure how to do an oil condition check, but the oil was fairly clear on the dipstick.

Anyway after take off I climbed to 3000 ft and after a few minutes went to the spot view and no smoke, all looked normal. My engine has only done about 17 hrs because I once pressed the Complete Engine Overhaul button by mistake. If it was a genuine problem I assume the fault would have been remembered for the next flight (as I didn't fix anything), so it may have been just a glitch.

It was a great simulation of an oil problem though, very realistic :)

Glen

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh yes, if you clicked complete overhaul any issues would be automatically fixed.

thanks,
Lewis

GAJ52
Airman

Post by GAJ52 »

No that was long before I got the blue smoke problem, the engine has done 17 hrs but I got the blue smoke yesterday. If it happens again I will repost here, hopefully with a bit more detail.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Did you by any chance take off in rainy conditions? There is an old FSX bug with the rain spray effects where they will continue to follow you around about 10 ft below the aircraft until you quit or restart the flight (just a thought.)

GAJ52
Airman

Post by GAJ52 »

No, this was definitely blue smoke from the exhaust outlet. A2A have made a really good job of simulating this, I think my initial problem may have been a graphic hiccup because the next flight was fine and I didn't fix anything in the hangar.

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

I had this happen once as well. I was taxiing out at Bonners Ferry when I noticed the clouds of blue smoke. I took off anyway, just to see what would happen, but disappointingly the engine ran just fine. Next time I loaded the aircraft everything was as normal and I've not burnt and engine out yet lol.

I guess some sort of initialisation glitch :?
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

Olih01
Airman Basic

Post by Olih01 »

I had this issue, turned out it was to fsx smoke trail, just press i to turn it off! :lol:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes if the FSX effects key is pressed some effects will be triggered so watch that 'i' key for sure

thanks,
Lewis

vbazillio
Airman First Class

Post by vbazillio »

Sorry to revive this old post. Just encountered same blue smoke with a 18 hours engine, leaning done. Divert and went directly to the hangar. Didn't see any issue ;)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Vincent,

As mentioned above, is there any chance than an inadvertent press of the "i" key which by default toggles smoke effects is responsible in your case?

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”