DME not working sometimes

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mike2060
Airman

DME not working sometimes

Post by mike2060 »

I have noticed that sometimes the DME will not pick up any stations. It just has dashes for all of its values no matter what the station is. I flew today not noticing it wasn't working until up in the air and when I was done with my flight I ended up exiting FSX and restarting the flight to see if it was working again and sure enough it was. I have never had this problem before with the default C172 which I flew a bunch before I bought this one.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: DME not working sometimes

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Just some possibilities here.

Are you certain you were tuned to a DME and not a VOR without DME?

Also, were you in range of the tuned DME? Their range varies.

Paul

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

Gypsy Baron wrote:Just some possibilities here.

Paul

Yes 100% certain since I have flown from the airport before. I also couldn't tune to the VOR I was going to either even when right over it.

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

mike2060 wrote:

Paul

Yes 100% certain since I have flown from the airport before. I also couldn't tune to the VOR I was going to either even when right over it.
If Your right above a station You won´t be able to tune it, since there is a cone from the station and upwards where signals aren´t valid.
Depending on altitude this can be up to a couple of miles.

To pick up a a station the station must also be in line of sight, thus You need to climbe to a certain altitude, depending on distance before You will receive it.
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

wothan wrote:
mike2060 wrote:

Paul

If Your right above a station You won´t be able to tune it, since there is a cone from the station and upwards where signals aren´t valid.
Depending on altitude this can be up to a couple of miles.

To pick up a a station the station must also be in line of sight, thus You need to climbe to a certain altitude, depending on distance before You will receive it.
I flew from CYYG to CYAW and could not pick up DME from YYG, YHZ, YQM, or UAW. So something was wrong. I could not get any DME reading from the VORs. Even if I was right above a VOR I still should get a DME readout. This has only ever happened with the A2A C172 and it has happened a couple of times when I have only flown the plane with a DME a half dozen times so far. The default C172 has never had this problem.

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

mike2060 wrote:I have noticed that sometimes the DME will not pick up any stations. It just has dashes for all of its values no matter what the station is. I flew today not noticing it wasn't working until up in the air and when I was done with my flight I ended up exiting FSX and restarting the flight to see if it was working again and sure enough it was. I have never had this problem before with the default C172 which I flew a bunch before I bought this one.
Hi mike2060,

I have seen this problem 2 or 3 times with the C172. Tuning a known DVOR, OBS comes alive, Morse code received, but getting no DME data. Restart FSX, tune the same DVOR and I get DME data. I have not found a cause for this.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Noted for further investigation

thanks,
Lewis -A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

Just to support what's being reported here, in the A2A C172 I can't get a DME readout on Prince George (YXS) VOR-DME or Houston (YYD) VOR-DME. Tried shutting down FSX and starting again but no different. I can tune to the VORs OK but no DEM readout from either.

In the default C172 I get a DME readout on both, no problem.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

This is really bizarre... Last night I started having DME problems too...

I was trying to find a way to repro this... BDL & BAF were not working last night or today... VOR needle & DME Audio was working for both.

So I tested the above VORs (YYG, YHZ, YQM, UAW, YXS, YYD) on the ground using the closest airport... DME readout worked for all. This using NAV1 with the DME in Remote mode.

Then I'm thinking maybe this has to do with what class VOR it is... BDL is a Terminal VOR and BAF a Low Altitude (the rest mentioned above are High Altitude). So I find CEF (a Low) and it works fine. Go back to BDL & BAF... now they are both working! Only thing I did during the process was go from airport to airport (using "go to") which, when I did come back both BDL & BAF are not working. But then using the Flight Planning window -- used to do the search for VORs (the class) and that is when upon going back BDL & BAF after CEF they decide to start working.

Just very, very strange...
Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

mike2060
Airman

Post by mike2060 »

My DME now never works. I have just started using the GPS until it is fixed.

Marvin
Airman

Post by Marvin »

If I load Microsofts C172, set my frequencies, then select A2A C172 then all my radios work fine. Otherwise it's a 50-50 shot if they work or not.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Marvin wrote:If I load Microsofts C172, set my frequencies, then select A2A C172 then all my radios work fine. Otherwise it's a 50-50 shot if they work or not.
:idea:

Great idea Marvin!

I have used similar before -- loading the default C172 to initialize certain aircraft -- but not for 'initializing' the radios.

Still cannot figure out why "all of a sudden" this has become an issue -- after a couple months of no problems.

Thanks!
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Eikthrynir
Airman Basic

Post by Eikthrynir »

The thread might be old, but the problem still exists.

I flew from LRIA to LRBC and had no problem with getting data from the ISI DME (113.5 MHz). I even got data on the ground, before taxi and take-off. It has always used to work.

I got to LRBC, shut down everything (the whole system) and restarted after an hour or so. I placed myself at LRBC, tried to tune in to the frequency of BCU DME nearby (109.4 MHz), did not work. I flew anyway, got 12 nm near LRIA, tuned in to ISI 113.5, did not receive any DME data.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Eikthrynir wrote:The thread might be old, but the problem still exists.

I flew from LRIA to LRBC and had no problem with getting data from the ISI DME (113.5 MHz). I even got data on the ground, before taxi and take-off. It has always used to work.

I got to LRBC, shut down everything (the whole system) and restarted after an hour or so. I placed myself at LRBC, tried to tune in to the frequency of BCU DME nearby (109.4 MHz), did not work. I flew anyway, got 12 nm near LRIA, tuned in to ISI 113.5, did not receive any DME data.
This is a core MSFS issue, it sounds like you are loading the C172 incorrectly meaning it isn't initializing the simulation correctly.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”