external power

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
pierrotll
Airman Basic

external power

Post by pierrotll »

Hello :o I have one question about the cessna in the manual i saw you can use external power ... But how ? :P

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: external power

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I think this was a mistake in the manual. The 172 doesn't need external power. If you run out of battery juice, head to the maintenance hangar and your battery will be recharged.
ImageImage
ImageImage

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Actually, at least the later 172's do have an external power receptacle for 28VDC input. I've never used that, nor have I ever heard anyone to have used it, for any purpose however... :)

- Esa

(Edit: Though I've actually been using it in C208s for G1000 updates, turbine washes etc. Not sure about it's actual use in piston Cessnas anyway)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi,
The reference to this appears in a couple of places in the manual. Basically, the manual states that if you are going to apply external power be sure that the avionics Master switches are off to avoid any spikes in the avionics system. Then again in the section about cold weather operations , that external power may be used to assist in positive starting (I'm going to assume by keeping the battery in a good state of charge) to reduce wear and abuse on the starter and engine. This can be used in conjunction with the external heater. External power is not modeled, that I can see. However, the external heater for the engine is. You must install it first, in the maintenance hanger, then apply the heat using the Controls 2D panel (shift+3). This heats oil trapped in the oil cooler that congeals in very cold conditions.

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

As a former ramp rat, I can attest that the newer aircraft do have external power hookups (look on the left side of the cowling near the firewall). these are used to "jump" an aircraft and as such gets used the most in cold weather. Some places refuse to do it since the ramp guy has to be so close to the prop. Chock the main gear, hold onto the strut, and you'll be fine.

For the sim purposes, visit the hangar and get the battery you had on the charger overnight.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”