Strange consequence of Wing Structural Damage

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
aob9
Airman

Strange consequence of Wing Structural Damage

Post by aob9 »

Today while taxiing I struck the left wing tip off a wall which activated the crash detection and forced an FSX reset to "Cold and Dark". Actually I was having severe problems keeping the plane straight and was putting in seemingly unnecessary levels of rudder to try and stay on track. I notice other people having this problem also.

Obviously I had to bring the C172 to the hangar but the report was far from what I expected. Instead of a structural damage report ( of which I'm not sure if it's in the code or not) I got a lengthy report on severe engine wear, overdue servicing of filters etc. and compression problems. My aircraft was perfect before initial start-up. Even after doing a complete overhaul I found the plane impossible to start so I simply did a reset and started with a "new plane". Can anyone comment on this .................apart from telling me to watch my wings when maneuvering on the ground. :roll:
The sky is the limit.
Anthony

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Strange consequence of Wing Structural Damage

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Best bet is to turn crash detection off as it can cause issues such as you have just encountered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I think Accu-sim has a thing where if it detects an FSX crash event (i.e. crashing into the ground, not to your desktop LOL) it heavily damages most/all of your components. That's why I just turn off FSX crash detection, it's really just a pain in the butt.

alexf
Senior Airman

Post by alexf »

Crash detection should be off. I've had it off for years.
It is a pain with way-too-big crash boxes near some buildings and fuel pumps, and it does not work well at all in multiuser as it makes formation flying nearly impossible.
Alex

Image ImageImage

torwal8
Airman First Class

Post by torwal8 »

When crash detection is off, is there a way to prevent FSX from catapulting your aircraft into the air when you touch water?

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

If you have crash detection OFF you won't get any damage to your plane. I tried to break my flaps, and nothing. Turn detection on, and I got the damage. I haven't fully tested this yet, but that was my initial finding.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

LaFri
Airman First Class

Post by LaFri »

So why do you recommend these settings on page 28 of the manual?
Will there be any damages to the airframe with crash detection switched OFF?

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Tigerclaw wrote:If you have crash detection OFF you won't get any damage to your plane. I tried to break my flaps, and nothing. Turn detection on, and I got the damage. I haven't fully tested this yet, but that was my initial finding.
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but from memory A2A's recommendation is to keep Crash Detection OFF in FSX. I'm fairly certain the C172's flaps-breaking routine will be inside AccuSim, not FSX.
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Tigerclaw wrote:If you have crash detection OFF you won't get any damage to your plane. I tried to break my flaps, and nothing. Turn detection on, and I got the damage. I haven't fully tested this yet, but that was my initial finding.
Nope, not true. I haven't used crash detection in years but I was able to break the flaps just fine (did I really just say that?!). :lol:
Happy Landings
- Patrick

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”