Question re using SPAD and Saitek panels

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Shousa
Senior Airman

Question re using SPAD and Saitek panels

Post by Shousa »

Moved to here as may have been missed:

Hi all. I haven't purchased this one yet.

I would like to know simply if by using SPAD I would be able to use all the switches and knobs of these panels ????

1) Saitek Multi-Panel - particularly trimming and flaps (does the A2A one come with auto pilot? - I would love that)
2) Saitek Switch Panel - all
3) Saitek Instument Panel - not for RPM (which I have read will not work) but just altitude, air speed, direction and turn co-ordinator.

If so wow that would be huge.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: Question re using SPAD and Saitek panels

Post by Tigerclaw »

Most of my panel functions work straight out of the box. I have the switch, multi, and radio panels. I'm pretty sure that those functions giving me problems are fixable if I knew how to use Spad and FSUIPC, which I don't really.

As fr the SIP's, I don't have any, so I couldn't comment sorry.

In general though, if a person was adept with software mentioned above, all could work as it want it to :)
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

SCFlyer
Airman Basic

Post by SCFlyer »

I have the multi panel and switch panel. All works fine with SPAD. I had to manually assign the battery, alternator, and flaps, but all else worked out of the box. I haven't used the auto pilot much, but it seems to work (a click or two is needed on the VC for arming, but that could probably be assigned to a switch if you want).

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

Wow...now that is impressive.....I will have to seriously think about getting this one now...thanks guys I really appreciate the help :)

RickSinGA
Airman

Post by RickSinGA »

The FIP's do work but several give completely different reading than the VC; some others read correctly. A2A claims that is not their problem and don't see fixing it from what I have read. Being as how the VC does work I don't understand why though, as the FIP should be reading the same data.

Rick S.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

RickSinGA wrote:The FIP's do work but several give completely different reading than the VC; some others read correctly. A2A claims that is not their problem and don't see fixing it from what I have read. Being as how the VC does work I don't understand why though, as the FIP should be reading the same data.

Rick S.
The Saitek FIP's only read default FSX values, so they are only designed to work with stock FSX. Unlike other controllers which are Computer controllers that can be programmed to be used with a multitude of software including FSX. Any FSX add on that goes outside of the standard FSX using simconnect for the components the Saitek FIP displays will not work and there is no way to make it work unless Saitek start opening up there hardware/software to allow more programming akin to the rest of the hardware on the market.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

RickSinGA
Airman

Post by RickSinGA »

Thanks for the quick reply Lewis, I think I understand a little better now.

Question; has A2A made any attempt to contact Saitek about the problem?

Thanks
Rick S.

TexasSteve
Airman

Post by TexasSteve »

Hi guys,
I have been reading up on this same subject concerning the Saitek Flight Instument Panels (FIPs). I just sent a support ticket to Saitek/Madcats requesting any help in the matter. I gotta side with the frustrated many who have voiced (and those who haven't yet) their concerns and questions directed to A2A. I started using Microsoft's Flight Simulator back in the early 1980's with some of the first stick-like drawing simulations and have to admit that the way it has evolved has only matched my wildest dreams of what a PC based simulator could one day do. Remember, the internet wasn't even around then! I know makers like A2A and other software and hardware venders as well as non-vending free-ware manufactures are proud to be a part of such cool industry providing both fun to simmers as well as real training devices for aviators (enhancing real-world flight safety). To those who berate the guys expressing their concerns to A2A in these forums, I gotta say, dude, really? I mean maybe it's not legally or even morally A2A's duty to make computer code compatible with popular add-ons. There IS a bottom line at work on projects like the 172 Trainer. It's capitalism at it's core. Someone inventing something they perceive the public (their customers) will ultimately buy and like. I believe that the project is and probably was from it's inception a source if great pride for the owners and employees of the company. It's another bad-ass step in the evolution of MSFS. But concerning the Saitek FIP, we are't talking some seldom used or outdated piece of hardware. Even though it's not for everybody, there is no arguing that it is also a bad-ass piece of equipment that has helped evolve the simming experience.
I'm not a code guy. Couldn't do it. But I do have a good sense of what is and isn't possible. I just read earlier that it isn't possible for the FIP to read the "L" (something) variables that 172 Trainer outputs. Sorry, but, I do have a really hard time believing that not only is it possible, but that it wouldn't be all that hard for a descent coder to figure out.
In the request I sent to Saitek, I asked if there was anything I could do to get Saitek and A2A together on a fix. I'm going to ask the staffers at A2A the same. If it doesn't make financial sense to put someone on it, heck, give us a price.. Set up a fund. (Yeah I know what the next question in response to that is going to be, lol)
Basically what I'm saying, and sorry for the rant, is, somebody do something! ;-)
I know I'm going to get blasted, so in advance I say I'm not going to get into any arguments.
Thanks for the ear-bending, Steve.

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Dead Thread Reply: In defense of A2A, they did change some things to make the aircraft work more realistically. If they limited themselves to the walls of the MSFS they would not have been able to do this. SAITEK, on the other hand has limited themselves to the walls of the MSFS. Both of these companies products could work together, but it would require SAITEK to move outside the limiting bounds of the MSFS.

As a side note, I stumbled across this forum looking for information on SPAD and SAITEK. It seems SPAD is popular for many reasons and one of those reasons is due to the sensitivity of control on the SAITEK RADIO PANEL. My question to SAITEK is why they don't fix this problem in their own driver and not force people to go looking for a 3rd party driver for their product.

Capitialism at work? I would say A2A represents the best of capitalism, giving their customers a good product at a great price. SAITEK on the other hand does not want to invest a little more money in their product to fix the bugs. This is capitalism at its worst.

So, SAITEK, get a clue. Wake up. Your customers would like you to do better.

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Hello,
I was given a Saitek radio panel recently as a gift and it did not work fully.
I was told to use Spad, and I downloaded, but have never used. I think it was daunting and I am not confident on computers.
And this unfortunately is the problem with FSX for me. It really requires you to increase your computer hacking skill to make it work properly.
So I went down the path of reporting the problem with Saitek and really after weeks, just got the feeling I was getting the run around. I gave up.
So for me, I just don't trust myself to start fiddling with these other 3rd party addons, that all others seem to use, like Spad and wants its name - FUICPU....
It is a problem because usually the first support people try to render concerns these other products.
I think Spad just was not basic enough for computer dummies like me and there is a limit to how much I will let FSX manipulate my time in hacking and not flying.
Any way just thought to add my perspective.

Allan

PS; you know there has to be a business opportunity here; start up a business that gives you remote access to other games computers and helps them through any issues they may be having. There is some smart simmers out there who I would pay to set my system up.

André
Airman First Class

Post by André »

DC3,

They broke a "contract" with Pete(FSUIPC) when they decided to hand over the support service to MadCatz. Go to Madcatz for support or use the SPAD. I used the saitek drivers all the time and they were, to say the least, unstable. But I can safely say after trying SPAD there is no going back. After all, we NEED the SPAD if we want to use our panels to the fullest extent with A2A C172

Cheers

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”