FPS drop in cockpit with DX10

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
malibu43
Airman

FPS drop in cockpit with DX10

Post by malibu43 »

When using DX9, my FPS stay locked at 30 (limited externally) with both the stock C172 and the A2A C172. If I switch to DX10, my FPS in the stock C172 stay locked at 30. However, with the A2A C172 in DX10 in the VC, I see a drop into the 18-24 FPS range. My FPS stay at 30 with the A2A C172 in DX10 when using external views.

The only thing I can think of is that it would be related to cockpit shadows. I know cockpit shadows can draw on resources, but I don't understand why the A2A cockpit shadows would cause such a big hit compared to the stock aircraft cockpit shadows.

Any suggestions?

Killermops
Airman Basic

Re: FPS drop in cockpit with DX10

Post by Killermops »

Well, generally speaking the DX10 mode is quite buggy in FSX so I personally have no interest in using it at all...
May I ask why you want to use it at all?

Regards,
Killermops

ImageImageImage

malibu43
Airman

Post by malibu43 »

Sorry. This is an accidental double post (showing up a few days late?) of another topic that has already been replied to quite a bit. Please delete/merge this thread.

Thanks!

RickSinGA
Airman

Post by RickSinGA »

FWIW Killer, DX10 has proven to be better and more stable than DX9 according to what I have heard and experienced. My system saw a nice increase in FPS and the color and clarity improved significantly. Stutters and jaggies are a thing of the past with DX10. I don't think you get much of any benefit on older less powered systems but my GTX680 and 4.6Gig I7-2600K loves it. I have been running this for about a year now and you couldn't make me go back to DX9.

You have to make some changes to your settings but there are links with detailed instructions at AVSIM to everything you need if you have an interest.

Rick S.

cvearl
BDG

Post by cvearl »

Works fine for me in DX10 mode. Not sure what could be the issue. I have 30 locked in it over ORBX scenery with some clouds everywhre I have tried so far.

I am using 4xSSAA in DX10 currently on a 7970.

Charles.

Shousa
Senior Airman

Post by Shousa »

What AA setting you are using? If you are using "AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12" for example (esp with DX10) you may find lower FPS (overall) and increased stuttering with (especially) enhanced scenery (where do you experience this - in default scenery or not? cities?) with speed limiting. Have you tried running with "unlimited" set in FSX and without speed limiting outside ? I would try it and then report back what happened.

Have you set it to 30 fps in FSX as well when you use outside speed limiting?

The above was based on findings by Spiritflyer a year ago or so on both Orbx and Avsim I believe. From memory he found that if you have such an AA mode (and I hypothesize DX10 would increase FPS as well) that the horse wanted to go faster and limiting it caused lower FPS (big variations between the occasional 60+ down to 30 as the limiter does its job - something like that). A factor I guess against that would be the terrain, cities, third party airport etc which would make the limiter work better maybe. I recommend you test.

In my case:
- I used the speed limiter set at 30 in and out before using the Super AA mode and it was the best for the 8sq AA mode.
- I moved to the higher AA mode and found unlimited was far better for that mode.
- I installed Aime's high-def textures and now find I have the limiter back on despite the super smooth Super AA mode.

In each case the FPS was not great until I had made the "right" choice about using or not using the limiter.
My setup is here:
http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showt ... -July-2012

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”