DX10 preview compatibility

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
davidal
Airman

DX10 preview compatibility

Post by davidal »

Morning,
May I ask if C172 trainer is full compatible with FSX DX10 preview mode?
Thanks,
Dan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: DX10 preview compatibility

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello David,

Yes she is;

A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

davidal wrote:Morning,
May I ask if C172 trainer is full compatible with FSX DX10 preview mode?
Thanks,
Dan
I even switched to DX10 just because of the C172's VC shadows!!!

Beware though that the various little popup windows which you can get in the various Shift-# views won't work in DX10, at least not in fullscreen mode. This had me stumped for quite some time because I didn't understand what every action icon meant. Those popups are actually tooltips and DX10 can't handle tooltips. If you really HAVE to see those popups (which might be a good idea during your first walk around) you might switch to windowed mode because there the tooltips do work.

I personally am thinking about switching to DX10 windowed mode (using an utility that makes it look like full screen anyway) because I've gotten used to using tooltips to get exact readings of the various gauges.

jgraddon
Senior Airman

Post by jgraddon »

I personally am thinking about switching to DX10 windowed mode (using an utility that makes it look like full screen anyway) because I've gotten used to using tooltips to get exact readings of the various gauges.[/quote]

May I ask which utility you use?

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

jgraddon wrote: May I ask which utility you use?
The utility I plan to use (I haven't used it yet with FSX but did use it with MS Flight a long time ago...) is called AutoHotkey (which on its own has nothing to do with FSX btw!) for which someone made a script that works with FSX to make it pseudo-fullscreen by pressing Windows-F11 (it's a toggle). BTW This possibility is also very handy (so I am told) for those who have two screens and want to use FSX on one and something else on the other. (By default FSX makes a second screen black when you run fullscreen on one of the two.)

AutoHotkey can be downloaded from this site: http://www.autohotkey.com

The script can be downloaded from the Avsim file library (for which you have to register): search for 'Pseudo Full Screen Autohotkey Script'.

EDIT
Another option can be found in this Avsim post (for which you also have to register):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418583-too ... try2776317

Haven't tried that one myself but maybe I will, just to compare if one option works better than the other when it comes to performance.

EDIT 2
I gave both options a try. First of all I like AutoHotkey more then the other option I posted because you can still switch from pseudo-fullscreen to windowed mode. The other application keeps you in full screen no matter what and besides, after restarting the game, the resolution was all wrong, filling only a quarter of my screen. So I defenitely prefer AutoHotkey. But... unfortunately there seems to be a slight loss in performance and I couldn't get vsync to work properly... so I am back to normal fullscreen: I guess I will have to learn to live without tooltips. As in real life, yes. :wink:

aprewett
Staff Sergeant

Post by aprewett »

Hello Lewis,
Any chance you could share some DX10 settings info to get the best out of the trainer. I have just started with DX10 but my shadow lines are very blurry?

Or any one else who can help with tips for DX10?

Thanks
Allan

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Allan,

you will want to use the free-ware fixes from Steve over at AVSIM and then consider the payware steves dx10 fixer package to get the best results from dx10 mode.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”