General Troubleshooting FAQ

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

General Troubleshooting FAQ

Post by Scott - A2A »

Troubleshooting FAQ

First, make sure you are on the latest Accu-Sim Update:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=41279

Here is the start of a Troubleshooting FAQ for new users. If anyone has anything to add, please just post and I will add it.

REQUIREMENTS
Your Microsoft Flight Simulator X must either up to Microsoft FSX Service Pack 2 or the Microsoft Acceleration expansion pack installed.
If you do not have either, then first install Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 1:
http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... p1_ENU.zip
Then the Service Pack 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games ... Pack2.aspx
(The Windows user must have ADMIN rights before installing the product)

In Game SETTINGS
Realism:
Flight model sliders - FULL RIGHT
Enable Auto-mixture – OFF
Auto-rudder - OFF
Engine stress damages engine - OFF

Graphics:
Advanced Animations - ON

Controls:
Sensitivities (all controllers) - FULL RIGHT
Null Zones (all controllers) - FULL LEFT

CRASHES or CTD's
When I select the C172 and choose FLY, FSX crashes

1. We have had one report of this with the Spitfire, and this was related to Windows sound driver conflicts. Check this thread:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=15

2. You must have the latest directX installed, which automatically runs at the end of the install. If you chose not to run it, you can run it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en

For those on slower broadband or offline machines you can download the following 96MB package for transfer to any offline and slow connection PC (full redistributable package for Direct-X 9.0C (June 2010):
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... redist.exe

3. WinXP users may experience a "C172 Illumination Bitmap Error"

Here is the link to the .dll fix for this issue:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/610 ... nation.dll
This should be placed in;
<FSX_path>\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C172\panel\

Reality XP GPS know issues (including FSX crash)

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=35825

P3D - Installed aircraft but nothing works and all is broken!?

P3D sometimes wont install the required simconnect files. No worries though as they are provided by Lockheed in the following directory (P3D version v2,3,4,5 will change depending on which you are using) ;
\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

Simply run the simconnect.msi file, restart your computer and it will be all installed. Thing should then work. If they still do not please post on the forums so we can help.

I get a NIL value error
This can be due to a corrupt flight. Once you have it loaded properly, try saving the flight as default, over-writing the default flight you have.

FLIGHT MODEL
My aircraft will not bank and aggressively returns to the center
Go to the Realism menu (Aircraft -> Realism Settings) and make absolutely sure that the General Realism slider is set all the way to the right.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 2&start=15

After I takeoff, I do not have full rudder control
Go to the Realism menu (Aircraft -> Realism Settings) and make absolutely sure that the Autorudder is NOT checked

My plane does not fly right and I have Passenger's X Installed
1. http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 62&t=19341
“When you star loading passengers, Click on "Flight & aircraft settings" and in "Disable payload weight and fuel update" select "weight and fuel disabled". This will mean that fuel and weight load will be read from whatever you set up with accusim, and not default FSP X payload model. So you center of gravity and other parameters will be correct.

2. Microsoft FSX can throw some unexpected turbulence your way. Also, the Spitfire can be a bit unstable on the roll. Try setting your weather to CLEAR SKIES

My elevator trim is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLicQD-jndY

SOUND

My sound is stuttering
Make an exception for the entire Microsoft FSX install directory in your anti-virus software.
If you have Microsoft Security Essentials, be sure to make the exception as follows:

Volume going down over a period of time
From community member 'Oracle427'
This is a Windows feature. The steps are for Windows 7, but they are similar for XP)
Right click on the speaker icon on your task tray and open the "Playback Devices".
Open the Communications Tab
There are 4 choices for what to do when Windows detects communications activity.
Select "Do Nothing".
Click OK and your problem should go away.

No sound or loss of sound in Cockpit for VR users even if not using the VR HMD;
from community member Leadcatcher
Just wanted to pass along a solution I found for the lack of engine sounds in the Virtual Cockpit of the Cessna 172. I upgraded to the latest version of P3D v4 recently and when I attempted a flight - ran into the lack of engine sounds while in the VC. Several threads can be found with this problem and all seemed to be able to resolve it following the instructions of making sure you had the correct default sound device in your windows configuration, have sim connect, etc.. but trying all the solutions failed miserably on my rig. I found the solution to my particular problem in my Steam VR settings for my HTC Vive. In those setting you can choose to have Steam VR switch the default Windows sound device when Steam VR is running and even though I am not flying P3D in VR, Steam VR is launching when P3D V4.2 launches. What made this a bit of a bear to troubleshoot was upon exiting Steam VR was configured to return the default device back to the previous value thus throwing me off the scent to find the problem. Modifying those settings not to change the default sound device upon launch now has me flying in my 172 with all the glorious engine sounds in the VC and so all is right with the world once again.

I just wanted to pass this little tidbit along in case anyone else was experiencing this problem and all the standard suggestions to resolve aren't working.

MISC

I cannot see my 2D Panels
Open your SETTINGS / CUSTOMIZE / AIRCRAFT and make sure your 2-D Panel Transparency is moved all the way to the left (0%).

I have tons of engine smoke that won't go away
- In Game Settings / Customize, check that Auto-mixture – OFF
- You may have accidentally hit the "i" key (smoke key in FSX)

My F12 view does not show a top down view
To have the best possible pre-flight, we had to change the event F12 casts. Currently this is a global effect which is only triggered when the C172 is loaded We're still looking at ways around this, but not sure this is possible.

UNRESOLVED ISSUE
Miscosoft FSX Simconnect is necessary for all advanced programming to work properly. It can get corrupt from time to time and needs to be restored.

How to fix SimConnect:
You can test if simconnect is working by opening up the default Cessna 172 and check to see if you have gauges. If you do not have gauges, then SimConnect is probably not working.

AUTOMATIC
- Run the Microsoft DirectX installer here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=34429
- Run the Microsoft FSX Simconnect installer here: http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi
- Reboot your computer

MANUAL
To fix Simconnect, do the following (thanks to Aerosoft for posting these instructions):
- Go to the Control Panel / Add-remove programs.
- Ensure You have "show all updates" enabled.
- Find and select "Microsoft Flight Simultor X SP2".
- Click "Remove" and confirm that You will unistall SP2.

At this point You might not be able to find Your "Microsoft Flight Simultor X" entry in the Add/remove list, so.......

-Close the Add/remove program window and open it again.
-Find and select "Microsoft Flight Simultor X SP1".
-Click "Remove" and confirm that You will uninstall SP1 (might require FSX Disk 1).
-Go to this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\

-Delete these entries 3:
x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.60905.0_....
x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61242.0_....
x86_Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_....

- Insert Your "Microsoft Flight Simultor X" Disk 1.
- Run Setup from the root folder on the CD.
- Select "Repair" and ok. It can take a longtime to finish and progrees might seem as if it has haltet. Just wait until it finishes.
- Install SP1.
- Install SP2.

Simconnect has now been restored.

EZDOK USERS pre v1.18,
From community member 'Treetops';

In the aircraft.cfg file, cut the eazidok camera entry at the bottom and paste in just above the camera.0 entry. Renumber all the camera numbers to be consecutive. 0,1,2 etc. Backup the file first.

Remember to repeat after each new update where the cfg is replaced with a new one.

This works perfectly. Start in the vc as intended, then start clicking the right arrow in the walkaround menu shift 8

EZDOK USERS post v1.18
From community member 'Nick M';
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p407007

Triple Monitor FSX users
From community member 'Shousa';

There are a few settings that must be changed in FSX for it to work correctly with 3 screens. This is explained by community member and triple screen user 'Shousa' in the following link;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 51#p269851

LAST RESORT
If you are one of the very few experiencing an issue that we have not yet come across, and is therefore not listed in this FAQ, please do the following:

Download and run this utility:
http://a2asimulations.com/public/online ... Dr_A2A.exe

A little black window will appear with a blinking cursor. This will take about 60 seconds or more to complete. Once this is done, you will have a "Dr_A2A_Report" file next to the Dr_A2A.exe program. Email this to doctor[at]a2asimulations.com.
A2A Simulations Inc.

JimmiG
Airman

Re: Troubleshooting FAQ

Post by JimmiG »

Scott - A2A wrote: If a user of our other aircraft you should also install the core update last here;
- Accu-Sim Core Update (http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=32495)
I get:
Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.

I have the Cub since before, bought from PC Aviator.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good catch, corrected 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Christian
Airman

Post by Christian »

Are the com_1 and com_2.txt Files these one's wich show the stored Channels in the radios ?

If this is the Case. Thank you for this easys acces.
Greetings Chris

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Yes.
Michael Krawczyk

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Re: General Troubleshooting FAQ

Post by J van E »

Something that may be of interest to some: the question marks in the various Shift-# windows and the Action icons will show 'tooltips' (a popup window) when you hover your mouse above them. However, this won't work when you use DX10 because tooltips simply don't work in DX10. If you want to see those tooltips/popups, you have to switch to windowed mode.

I use DX10 (because I like the C172's VC shadows!) and it took me quite some time before I figured this out because I simply didn't look at those items as tooltips... :wink:

c300c
Airman

Post by c300c »

Maybe that's worth adding to the FAQ ...

I generally mapped keys/switches via FSUIPC for aileron- and rudder-trim. Although the C172 does not have any trim other then elevator those keys are active and you can actually trim the aircraft. Unfortunately it took me a while to understand that. If you experience some inexplicable banking behavior for example you might want to reset your general FSX aileron- and rudder-trims.

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

That is a good call, Chergo...

I mapped two free buttons to centring the aileron and rudder trim...

A
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

jldy
Airman

Post by jldy »

I tried everything to get my 172 package to work but nothing would help! Now my FSX has crashed and will not run so I'm sorry I cannot give it an A or even a B or C! My FSX was completely up to date as required in All respects and now it will not work! What seemed like a great addon for me turned out not to be . Thanks for the help I received and I blame only myself for this as I obviously did something very wrong!
John

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

Scott - A2A wrote:Troubleshooting FAQ

EZDOK USERS
In the aircraft.cfg file, cut the eazidok camera entry at the bottom and paste in just above the camera.0 entry. Renumber all the camera numbers to be consecutive. 0,1,2 etc. Backup the file first.
Thank you very much. Immediately solved my problem with pre-flight inspection. Cheers.
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

jmann
Airman First Class

Post by jmann »

EZDOK USERS

Remember to repeat after each new update where the cfg is replaced with a new one.

This works perfectly. Start in the vc as intended, then start clicking the right arrow in the walkaround menu shift 8

Tried this and it does not work for me.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Have you reloaded the aircraft or restarted FSX for the changes to take effect?
Confirm you no longer have the EZDok camera entry at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file.
Confirm you have the EZDok camera entry as camera.0 (as in the number)
Confirm you have renumbered correctly the original series of camera.X. 0 becomes 1, 1 becomes 2, etc.
Confirm your camera.X series is numbered from 0 at the top progressing to 1 below, then 2 etc. Having 1 above 0 will not work.
Cheers
Trev

jmann
Airman First Class

Post by jmann »

TreeTops wrote:Have you reloaded the aircraft or restarted FSX for the changes to take effect?
Confirm you no longer have the EZDok camera entry at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file.
Confirm you have the EZDok camera entry as camera.0 (as in the number)
Confirm you have renumbered correctly the original series of camera.X. 0 becomes 1, 1 becomes 2, etc.
Confirm your camera.X series is numbered from 0 at the top progressing to 1 below, then 2 etc. Having 1 above 0 will not work.
Yes sir.. all is well now. I had to complete the process again and it worked the second time. I did everything the exact same as the first time I tried it. Something must have been wrong somewhere. Thank you again for the information.

Timebandit
Airman Basic

Post by Timebandit »

c300c wrote:Maybe that's worth adding to the FAQ ...

I generally mapped keys/switches via FSUIPC for aileron- and rudder-trim. Although the C172 does not have any trim other then elevator those keys are active and you can actually trim the aircraft. Unfortunately it took me a while to understand that. If you experience some inexplicable banking behavior for example you might want to reset your general FSX aileron- and rudder-trims.
Chergo can you explain further? What do you mean by reset general FSX aileron and rudder trims? I also use FSPUIC to map certain keys. However, because I use FSPUIC I have deactivated controllers in FSX. I am getting a left bank that won't go away. I've had people say that's natural, but it's beyond normal IMHO.

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi Timebandit,

I have aileron and rudder trim assigned to a controller hat for the C172 in my setup. The default FSX trim functions still work, the default FSX key assignments are:

Aileron Trim (Left) = CTRL+Num Pad 4
Aileron Trim (Right) = CTRL+Num Pad 6
Rudder Trim (Left) = CTRL+Num Pad 0
Rudder Trim (Right) = CTRL+Num Pad ENTER

These can also be assigned directly to your controller through FSUIPC.

The problem is there is no VC indication of where these are set. What I have done is assign Aileron and Rudder Trim Reset to switches on my controller using FSUIPC. This works great for me. I just have to remember to reset trim when I shut down the aircraft or during preflight.

Hope this helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”