Walk-around question

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Walk-around question

Post by Skycat »

I've flown the C172 in P3Dv5 regularly for over a year now and I always do the walk-around. There have been times where there is damage reported in the maintenance hangar, but I don't see an obvious indication during the walk-around except when wiggling the flaps and elevator. So my question is, do the pop-ups really show anything?
- Will I ever find any sediment or discoloration in the fuel?
- Will I ever find that the vents are blocked?
- Will I ever find a bird's nest in the intake?
- Will I ever see a broken linkage for the control surfaces?

On some of panels there are icons with click hot spots, but they don't seem to do anything.

I do recall finding a chipped propeller a few times during walk-around on one of the other GA's. The lack of feedback on the C172 has me curious.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

bcote689
Airman First Class

Re: Walk-around question

Post by bcote689 »

Hi, the post is a couple weeks old, but thought I would reply anyway. I have the 182, not the 172.

- I believe I may have had water at the bottom of the fuel drain cup, although it is hard to see. Not 100% sure about this one.
- Yes, I have found once some tape over the static port, it was shown as two pieces of tape making a big “X”
- Yes, once I have found a bird’s nest in the air intake below rhe prop
- Yes few times broken linkage (aileron hinge) on control surfaces, missing one of the three pins, or rod loose/disconnected

Other things I may have seen over the years, IIRC

- loose flaps when we move them during walkaround, I lower the flaps before walkaround … this is the most frequent finding
- loose bolt on flap rod
- missing bolt on elevator, connecting part bent
- Green slime (?) on the propellor hub, although I suspect this was a one-time bug (?)

I spare you the pitot covers left on when I skipped the walk around, the damage props, dirty oil, etc..

-

john.downen.1
Airman

Re: Walk-around question

Post by john.downen.1 »

I wondered the same thing so I went into the airplane file and found all the damage images and if there is something wrong you will see it.

I don’t know if anyone else has had this happen but I do the walk around every flight and on a couple of flights I found nothing but in the middle of the flight I would get an elevator failure. I go into the hanger to find that the clipboard that tells you the overall condition of the plane says what is wrong and then at the bottom it says that you should do a thorough walk around for every flight lol

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”