Random engine failures

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
ethorn
Airman Basic

Random engine failures

Post by ethorn »

Hi, I’m taking lessons for my PPL and I’d like to be able to use the A2A 172 to practice unexpected engine failures (it is perfect for practicing everything else.). Is there any way to do this? The engine failures in P3D as well as FSIpanel don’t seem to effect the A2A 172. I can always pull the throttle or mixture myself but that takes away the element of surprise which seems to me should be a particular benefit of a simulator.

Thanks,
Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Random engine failures

Post by Jacques »

Hi Eric,
In the shift+3 ‘Controls’ 2d window there is a selectable box titled “used”. Actioning that will create random failures in the aircraft, not limited to just engine related failures. There isn’t a way to accelerate the failures (as far as I know) and they are completely random. So they will challenge you, but you’ll need to get out and use the aircraft to experience the failures!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

As a student you can bet your instructor is going to pull the throttle to idle anytime you are near an airport, whether you know it or not. They will also pull it when there are nice fields nearby.

The point is to drill the flow of the ABC's and set up to land at a safe point at the chosen point of landing without a doubt that you can make the landing.

You should not be "surprised" by an engine failure. Always expect it and be ready to take action. With time you should be able to pick a point on the ground and turn to make a landing with the engine at idle power. I am constantly evaluating landing spots as I fly along, you just never know when that nice farm field you looked at a minute ago might be needed for your emergency landing!

During my practical test, my examiner set me up for a rather long glide at altitude to a field about 3 miles away. It required a fair amount of slipping to lose altitude once I was certain that I wouldn't come up short!

A - Set up best glide (A)irspeed
B - Turn to the (B)est place to land
C - perform engine failure flows and use the (C)hecklist altitude permitting
D - (D)eclare an emergency
E - (E)xecute the landing, don't stop flying until the airplane is stopped on the ground.

I've experienced two bouts of a rough running engine so far. Both times I went through steps A,B and C and was primed for D and E if the situation got worse.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I always figured that if I wanted to experience a random engine failure I'd take off without enough fuel. :)

Hook

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”