Throttle response

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
mevans
Airman First Class

Throttle response

Post by mevans »

Not just the 172, but the a2a throttle response is almost like a jet , considerable delay, I assumed that most piston engines have instant response to throttle input.
Am I missing a setting somewhere or is this normal?
Regards
Mike

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: Throttle response

Post by ClipperLuna »

They might seem slow, but their responses are correct for GA pistons. Aero engines don't "rev-up" like car engines do, and they don't like having their throttles moved too quickly. The rule of thumb I've heard is it should take you an easy count of five to move the lever from idle to full.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It is correct that these piston engines don't like sudden throttle changes. The mass of the flywheel in the form of a huge spinning mass shaped like a propeller resists changes in response to the changes in power settings.

The engines might backfire/afterfire and suffer some damage from hamfisted throttle changes. The 5 second rule is very important!

That said, I do feel like there is some slight "lag" in the response of throttle inputs as a whole in the simulator. Particularly when throttling up to taxi from a stop at 1000RPM. The engine slowly increases RPM in response to the throttle input and the aircraft will start rolling. I find that there is even some "lag" between RPM and the resulting motion of the aircraft. Could be due to friction settings to make realistic ground handling as I know that is always an issue with most flight sims.

Edited my post for clarification. I feel there is lag in the sim.
Last edited by Oracle427 on 13 Nov 2018, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Yep - concur with you shouldn’t do it - but - I can say from my experience with fixed pitch O-360 powered planes - the engine response is immediate - there’s no discernible lag... I’ve noticed the lag too - in my mind - I always attributed it to the external flight model - but that’s not based on any fact - just an assumption...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”