Question about landing technique

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Question about landing technique

Post by Oracle427 »

I wouldn't recommend that technique as it will serve as a crutch that will cause trouble on short runways. You can get away with it on a 3500 foot strip, but good luck on a 2100 foot strip.

The throttle is available to correct a balloon or a bounce, but it should be at idle before then.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

Yeah I found that out the hard way when I tried to land at my hometown airfield. Oh well, the practice to prevent nose drop continues.

Radu T
Airman

Post by Radu T »

Another thing popped into my head, because I know a while back after changing the sensitivities all to 0% I also reduced the "elevator_effectiveness" (or something of that sort, need to look at cfg to remember exactly) entry from the number it had to half that number (I think from 1 to 0.5). I believe this is also a probable cause of the nose failing to rise more than level while flaring and thus making a 3-point landing. I will investigate tomorrow.

Also just a general question for clarification, I purchased the 172 following the whole website and installer change (purchased it early/mid june). Does this mean that the 172 is fully up to date as is? Or should I still download and run the updater found here:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=57819

The reason why I am asking is I had complications with the updater (my fault, I think) which required a re-install of the 172 I know the 172 has a limited number of re-installs so I don't want to have to re-install it again should I run into the same problem (listed below if you want to read).

I had downloaded this updater but I ran it directly from the zip folder which caused it to say it did not have permission to execute a file 32% of the way to finishing, then it quit. I extracted the files and re-ran the updater (with admin privileges) and it picked up on its own from 32% to finish. Following the update the 172 would wobble (one wheel would visibly levitate above the ground while one remained one the ground and then they would switch rapidly once I would make turns) while taxiing. Initially the problem went away on its own, then it came back so I decided to uninstall everything A2A and then re-install the 172 which did the trick. I now know how to properly run the updater by extracting first and then running with admin privileges but I am only 90% sure the wobble was caused by a faulty update execution and not that the update itself caused the issue. I just want to avoid having to re-install the 172. (sorry for getting so off topic)

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

Going back to my last post, from base leg to final, utilizing flaps (i.e.; 10 degrees after turning to base leg, 20 after turning to final, then 30) you should be controlling your airspeed with pitch (trim) and altitude with power (plus or minus to increase or decrease altitude- in simpler terms - to control your descent approx. 300 ft / min). When you can make the runway, then just reduce power to idle. This also helps on shorter runways as well.

That's the way all of my instructors explained it. It seems backwards, but it's what I practiced and it helped me out. Try it. Like Oracle stated before, no two landings are ever the same. Many variables come into play, weather, wind direction etc etc.
Last edited by wblackret on 26 Jul 2018, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Post by wblackret »

You should still run the update. If you run out of downloads, you can contact (PM) Lewis and he can reset them for you. Happy flying!
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”